The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   New Paso (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/new-paso-155441/)

seven 03-04-2013 08:32 PM

New Paso

I am getting a 6 or 7 year old Paso this weekend from a horse dealer so her history is not known. I have ridden her twice with 2 different shank bits and she tossed her head some. I was wondering if someone have some advice on what kind of bit to try first, hackamore,snaffle, etc.

existentialpony 03-04-2013 10:03 PM

French link snaffle (double-jointed) is my personal favourite! Started using this one and never looked back. If your horse doesn't like it, you can switch to a single-jointed snaffle-- it's just as gentle, but with a slightly different action in the mouth. Sometimes single-jointed snaffles can "nutcracker" up against the palate, whereas a double-jointed snaffle will instead apply pressure on the tongue.

mindari 03-08-2013 08:28 PM

Same here, we have found many of our horses greately prefer the french snaffle to the single joint, cant nutcracker and they sure like the French link snaffle (double-jointed) much more and go so much happier in them

G8tdh0rse 03-09-2013 11:21 PM

Yes just try and see what makes her happy, She also may be fussing if you are in her mouth to much.

Dark Horse 03-10-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seven (Post 1922659)
I am getting a 6 or 7 year old Paso this weekend from a horse dealer so her history is not known. I have ridden her twice with 2 different shank bits and she tossed her head some. I was wondering if someone have some advice on what kind of bit to try first, hackamore,snaffle, etc.

Because paso bits are so different that what other breeds use, I wouldn't go out and buy the french link snaffle. First, make sure she doesn't need her teeth floated. Then, I'd put her in jaquima and see what she does. I wouldn't hit the trails until you really get to know her.

There are some mild paso bits out there and there's a place here in town that I'll be happy to forward information to you about that will steer you in the right direction for a used bit. They can be expensive! First things first, get her teeth checked..at least I would:wink:

G8tdh0rse 03-12-2013 06:39 PM

Dark horse...Most paso bits are curb with rigid, not broken mouthpieces. If she is a handful, a jaquima alone might not be enough, if you are talking about just the noseband assembly and no bit? There is a lot of variety in nose band assemblies too for lack of anything else to call them.

churumbeque 03-12-2013 06:51 PM

Getting her teeth check would be the first priotity. Is this a Fino or Peruvian?

Farmchic 03-12-2013 07:04 PM

All of our Paso's seem to like the Myler low port comfort snaffle or the mullen triple barrel. They can be expensive though so you might want to try to borrow one to try first .

Dark Horse 03-12-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8tdh0rse (Post 1934971)
Dark horse...Most paso bits are curb with rigid, not broken mouthpieces. If she is a handful, a jaquima alone might not be enough, if you are talking about just the noseband assembly and no bit? There is a lot of variety in nose band assemblies too for lack of anything else to call them.

You're right! Was thinking jaquima when I should have been saying bosal..and in a round pen. I wish there were places you could go to and try a bit before buying one as there are so many choices.

Question: Would a curb be less harsh if a horse needed a float as opposed to something with a broken mouthpiece?

Cacowgirl 03-13-2013 04:21 PM

When I first got my Paso Fino, she didn't like bits-her last owner had her in a side pull, but wouldn't sell it. So I rode bitless for a couple of years, then went to an eggbutt snaffle-it was Ok, but not wonderful, so I got a French link snaffle & that worked out great.