The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Buying my first set of clipper (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/buying-my-first-set-clipper-155447/)

ponypile 03-04-2013 08:06 PM

Buying my first set of clipper

Ok, so, this started on an adventure walking around town to find clipper blades for my coach's clippers, and the only thing I found in the store were any of the wrong brand, wrong size, and OUTRAGEOUSLY priced! My coach's small clippers also don't have blades that are being made for them anymore, so I decided while I'm forced into ordering some blades online for her, I might as well get myself some of my own clippers!

My coach has 2 Oster clippers, one small one (face/legs/ears) that the blades are in production for anymore, and one monster one (body), and she swears by Oster. So I'm looking at oster ones for compatibility (should one of us be in need of a blade), and because I'm used to them. I also know that I'm most likely never going to need anything but a 10 since I don't do balding or anything like that, and these are mostly used for bridle paths and fetlocks, and beards in the winter. Just a few questions.

Why do some clippers have multiple speeds? What's the purpose of that? What stroke speed would be best for me? Why?
What's a Cryotech blade?

Here are the 4 I'm looking at:

Oster Adjusta-Groom horse Clipper - Blue

Oster Power Max 2 Speed Clippr - Silver

Oster Golden A5 Heavy Duty 2-Speed Clipper w/Blades - n/a - n/a

Oster Turbo A5 Two Speed Clipper

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-04-2013 08:09 PM

I am subbing to this.

Clippers can be expensive, and there are about 50 different kinds, so I haven't invested yet. It would be good to know!

waresbear 03-04-2013 08:28 PM

I have those Osters Golden, I really like them, the detachable blades are handy. I used them for a full body clip and trimming, plenty powerful. However that price is pretty good, $157.90, I paid over $200 a few years ago for mine.

Iseul 03-04-2013 08:29 PM

I just bought a Wahl Pro Show (Show Pro? Lol) Clipper. I can let ya know how it goes wednesday when I roach Alahna's mane and clip her whiskers.

I heard a couple good reviews on them while I was in WV with a guy from Trinidad that worked woth racehorses as a side job to his police work. Said he loved them. Only thing I personally know about them yet though is that they do vibrate rather..hard? Lol I'm sure I'll get use to it after I use them a couple times.

But, I do highly recommend getting one with a cord..I've heard every cordless pair of clippers are a POS around here. Haven't heard a good review unless the only thing being clipped are whiskers.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponypile 03-04-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 1922740)
I just bought a Wahl Pro Show (Show Pro? Lol) Clipper. I can let ya know how it goes wednesday when I roach Alahna's mane and clip her whiskers.

I heard a couple good reviews on them while I was in WV with a guy from Trinidad that worked woth racehorses as a side job to his police work. Said he loved them. Only thing I personally know about them yet though is that they do vibrate rather..hard? Lol I'm sure I'll get use to it after I use them a couple times.

But, I do highly recommend getting one with a cord..I've heard every cordless pair of clippers are a POS around here. Haven't heard a good review unless the only thing being clipped are whiskers.
Posted via Mobile Device

A friend of mine is a dog groomer and she is very anti Wahl, and recommended Osters or Andis to me, so that's what I'm going to go with. I want a cord too. I don't want to have to bother about dealing with batteries not being charged and all that. Plus the horses I deal with stand still to be clipped, so a cord isn't an issue.

ponypile 03-04-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1922739)
I have those Osters Golden, I really like them, the detachable blades are handy. I used them for a full body clip and trimming, plenty powerful. However that price is pretty good, $157.90, I paid over $200 a few years ago for mine.

Any idea on what's different about the Golden and the Turbo? The specs look pretty similar to me.

Iseul 03-04-2013 08:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, why is your friend so anti-Wahl clippers?
Posted via Mobile Device

ryster2000 03-04-2013 08:46 PM

Ponypile-happy 100th post (By the Way)

anyways, we do not reccomend wahl, because not only do they have a tendency to bust, they are sometimes loud and terrifieing to horses and dogs alike. I do reccomend batteries, because you may find yourself having to trim hard to reach areas and you do not have to watch the cord(not to mention trimming skittish horses)- there are attachments that allow a cord for battery operated clippers if you want it that bad. please consiger this.

waresbear 03-04-2013 08:47 PM

Turbo I don't think has detachable blades, believe me, that is a great feature and every place sells those blades.

ryster2000 03-04-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1922762)
Turbo I don't think has detachable blades, believe me, that is a great feature and every place sells those blades.

yes, DO NOT BUY CLIPPERS WITHOUT DETACHABLE BLADES!!!!!!