The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Poor puppy (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/poor-puppy-155464/)

PurpleMonkeyWrench 03-05-2013 12:28 AM

Poor puppy

short and stalky? try obese and unhealthy...poor dog. I'd like to slap his owners around
Blue Queensland Hlr Stud SV

DraftyAiresMum 03-05-2013 12:34 AM

For whatever reason, you see a lot more overweight heelers than you do Aussies or border collies. Not sure why that is, since heelers can be just as high energy as the other two. I hate to see any dog overweight, but an overweight Aussie makes me want to cry. Seriously, how do they even manage to get an Aussie overweight (or any high energy breed, for that matter)? Crap food, table scraps, and zero exercise? I have two Aussie mixes and I have to feed them a high protein food to keep weight them from losing weight, never mind gaining too much. Gah!

Sorry. I'll step of my soap box/rant now. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 03-05-2013 12:37 AM

well.....he is short....lol but also very chubbers.

I probably shouldn't even be commenting...and im probably gonna get the axe for this but.....
sometimes though...its IMPOSSIBLE to keep a dog skinny. my beagle is about 54lbs....I took him on 4-5 mile runs every day, he had 10 acres of field to run in every night...hes been on a diet practically since the day he was born (hes been fat since I got him at 8 weeks lol) even our vet cant give s any advice to slim him down....hes just a FAT dog...

PurpleMonkeyWrench 03-05-2013 12:38 AM

but, why would someone want to breed their dog with an obese dog? So you can have potentially fat puppies?

DraftyAiresMum 03-05-2013 12:46 AM

Roperchick, you're right, some dogs do have the propensity for being overweight. My Dalmatian was 62lbs and very...husky. She was high energy (as most/all Dalmatians are), but we didn't feed her a good food (Pedigree...we didn't know any better). She should have been 40lbs, tops.

But, like PurpleMonkeyWrench said, you don't breed a dog like that (that is/stays fat no matter what you do). You're setting your puppies up for lives of obesity, joint problems, and breathing problems (to name a few), which is NOT what a responsible breeder does. However, if you're advertising your stud on Craigslist, that probably doesn't make you a responsible breeder, so...
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-05-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleMonkeyWrench (Post 1923105)
but, why would someone want to breed their dog with an obese dog? So you can have potentially fat puppies?

The dog might not be fat due to genetics, so breeding to him isn't going to doom the puppies to a life of obesity. I don't know anything about Heelers and if he's a well bred dog or not. He could be, and it's in his genes, just under the layer of fat.

Phly 03-05-2013 01:03 AM

My heeler apx 3ish. Short, stocky, and apperently lazy lol. Honestly I don't have pictures of him working or running because, well, he's too dang fast! He eats like a bird and runs like crazy. I think a lot is breeding. http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0ea83549.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 03-05-2013 01:13 AM

See, that's a stocky dog. You can tell even with him laying down. Not obese, like the dog in the ad. I've seen a lot of stocky heelers. Never would you mistake one for being fat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 03-05-2013 01:35 AM

My phone, my only way of posting, decided we were done, lol. Anyhow, I've seen a lot of fat heelers! I think too many people want to sell em. We got mine and his brother (I didn't keep him, mines brother, and he's no longer with us) from a fella who had em in his truck and was dumping em. No papers or background. But he is a nicely built heeler. Lotsa dingo. I see em bred around here and they are crap. But sell.
Posted via Mobile Device