The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Roommate let my cat out. *vent* (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/roommate-let-my-cat-out-%2Avent%2A-155466/)

riccil0ve 03-05-2013 02:11 AM

Roommate let my cat out. *vent*

Boots can go outside during the day. I let her out in the morning and she's back in a few minutes. I think she just potties. It makes her happier. I also usually let her out when I get home from work, and she's back just as quick. That said, she doesn't go outside at night/in the dark. She knows that, she's never tried to get out past me.

But my roommate is... aloof, to put it nicely. Everything in her life is met with a fair amount of airiness. She knows Boots doesn't go out at night. Boots has gotten past her before. Instead of being aware that she will try to dart past her, she just dilly dallies with the door open coming in. Once is a mistake. Two times, okay, get it together. But the third? How hard is it to come in and shut the door? Then she tries to call her like a dog. Literally, "Boots, come!" Guess how successful that is?

Boots is a scaredy cat. If you open the door and wave your foot at her, she won't come near you. She's never gotten past me in, oh, 5-6 years. She was semi-feral when I found her. It took me a year to make friends with her. Five years later, she still doesn't like fast movements, doesn't like to be cuddled with, doesn't like to be picked up, everything has to be on HER terms and she's flighty at best. That means you can't rush out the door after her and try to pick her up without freaking her out. Boots' neurosis is not lost on the roommate, so why she tries to rush and grab her once she's already outside is beyond me.

Looks like I will have to explain to roommate again about how to deal with Boots and this issue. Especially since this happens when I am already in bed and do not want to go outside and shoo away the cat she's yeowling at so she can come back in.

I'm over roommates. I don't want to deal with anyone else's mistakes anymore. Le sigh.

wetrain17 03-05-2013 03:46 PM

It doesn't take much for a cat to slip out passed someone. I'm sure it can be frustrating, but it does happen. Unless you live alone, I wouldnt expect it to never happen again.

Roperchick 03-05-2013 04:01 PM

Cat door maybe? If she comes back on her own it may just be easier?

riccil0ve 03-05-2013 06:57 PM

I live in an apartment, no cat door.

It's just frustrating that she literally leaves the door wide open for her, when she knows I don't want her out at night. She's not intentionally letting her out, but she doesn't make any effort to prevent it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 03-05-2013 06:58 PM

Oh oops never mind sorry lol

gogaited 03-05-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1924131)
I live in an apartment, no cat door.

It's just frustrating that she literally leaves the door wide open for her, when she knows I don't want her out at night. She's not intentionally letting her out, but she doesn't make any effort to prevent it.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's your duty to secure your cat. Keep her in a crate at night or in your room.

waresbear 03-05-2013 07:38 PM

You can't expect your roommate to be responsible for YOUR pet, sorry. It's not like she is calling the cat and kicking it outside.

riccil0ve 03-05-2013 10:59 PM

Um, no. It is not too much to ask that she don't let the door hang open at night. Nothing anyone says will ever convince me otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shropshirerosie 03-06-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1924515)
Um, no. It is not too much to ask that she don't let the door hang open at night. Nothing anyone says will ever convince me otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ookaaay, so it's your way or the highway?

I agree with the others; it's your cat and your responsibility. If you can't train the cat to stay inside (no, I don't seriously think that is a solution), then it's up to you to keep the cat inside.

Or don't have a room-mate.

But you cannot expect a fully paid up member of your household to play watch out for the sneaky cat every time he or she goes in or out of the door. You chose to have a cat, and to tolerate it's behavioural quirks, your room-mate didn't.

riccil0ve 03-06-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie (Post 1924692)
Ookaaay, so it's your way or the highway?

I agree with the others; it's your cat and your responsibility. If you can't train the cat to stay inside (no, I don't seriously think that is a solution), then it's up to you to keep the cat inside.

Or don't have a room-mate.

But you cannot expect a fully paid up member of your household to play watch out for the sneaky cat every time he or she goes in or out of the door. You chose to have a cat, and to tolerate it's behavioural quirks, your room-mate didn't.

Yes she did. Me and the cats were here first. Again "don't leave the door open" is an easy thing to do. The cat darted past her, but the door was WIDE OPEN for more than just a second. I KNOW my cat won't go out if you just point your toe at her. If you even look like you are going to take a step toward her in any circumstance, she'll skitter away. I am not in the wrong. Again, "DON'T LET THE DOOR HANG OPEN" is not asking too much of anyone. This is just part of the long list of frustrating things with this roommate, which I do believe I said.
Posted via Mobile Device