The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pastures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pastures-155467/)

Caili 03-05-2013 01:48 AM

Pastures

Okay so we are ploughing out our paddock and am deciding on a type of grass to put in there. My horses are picky on grass. What are your suggestions on types of grasses that horses like eating?

SouthernTrails 03-05-2013 07:00 AM

Not sure what types of Grass is available In Australia.

Hopefully someone in OZ will speak up :-)

What may help is to know what area are you from?, climate would dictate the best grass also

maura 03-05-2013 07:23 AM

Our local seed dealers sell something called "Horse pasture mix" - it's a mix of orchard grass, timothy, rye, fescue and clover, and it's blended to give coverage and forage in a variety of weather conditions. if there's something like that available to you locally, blended for your conditions, that may be the best way to go.

walkinthewalk 03-05-2013 07:55 AM

Pick grasses native to your area, so your climate & soil type doesn't kill it off.

No matter what you plant, horses always have a favorite spot they will eat the grass down:D

Planting grass seed is an instance where, the less elaborate one tries to be, the healthier the horse:-)

My horses are eating off 22 acres of what I call "virgin" pasture. That means it was cow pasture 40 years before we bought it.

It's never had fertilizer put on it and we put weed killer down once in ten years; that was the year after we came out of a "Exceptional Drought" status and the weeds wanted to Rule.

We had plenty of rain that year and the native grasses came back. My neighbor had planted something different where they dug up to run city water and only a very small percentage of it came back:-(

Caili 03-06-2013 03:17 AM

Thankyou guys so far.. our weather is really complicated.. it's very hot in summer and when it rains our paddocks get very marshy even with the grass there... it's been raining for maybe three weeks now. In winter it gets very cold but it doesn't rain so much. I'm in south-east queensland :) The last grass we tried was thin and fine.. and if it wasn't touched it would grow to about knee height.