The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Iron and IR horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/iron-ir-horses-155480/)

deserthorsewoman 03-05-2013 10:51 AM

Iron and IR horses

I had this in my mail this morning. Pretty interesting...
The Horse | Researchers Identify Link between Insulin Resistance, Iron Overload | TheHorse.com

walkinthewalk 03-05-2013 11:39 AM

I got that e-mail, too. They're telling us something we already knew but it's really nice to have the experts confirm it.

My end of the county is very high in iron and that is reflected everytime I had my normal Grower's hay tested by Equi Analytical.

Iron depletes copper and zinc, both of which are needed for the immune system and to stabilize insulin.

Is it any wonder two of my four horses have metabolic issues and now I am beginning to wonder about my third TWH. Who, ironically was the Control Horse when my other two participated in the metabolic study conducted by the Universities of MN and MI, in 2010.

I fear TWH #3 will have to wear a grazing muzzle at least during the Spring.

My almost 27 yr old Arab on the other hand flourishes on all that lush and his gastric ulcers flare up when he can't have green grass:shock:

I still have all my hair but these Guys turned it gray in the last six years and put me on BP meds. It can't possibly have anything to do with old age:-P:-P

deserthorsewoman 03-05-2013 11:46 AM

I was in an iron rich water area with my IR horse, it wasn't clear them, but thought of, that iron could have something to do with it.
Now I'm researching feeds low in iron......

Come to think about it...there's a member on here who's horse had a laminitis episode while on RedCell, but she blames it on the flax she was giving at the same time.....makes me wonder.

poppy1356 03-05-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1923544)

Come to think about it...there's a member on here who's horse had a laminitis episode while on RedCell, but she blames it on the flax she was giving at the same time.....makes me wonder.

That would be me :lol: but the laminitis attack happened 36 hours after starting her on flax oil. The time frame just fits. But it could have been a combination of the two and the flax just put her over the edge. I will never know because I will not put either back in her diet. Just to risky. I pulled the red cell when this exact issue was brought to my attention. She has been off of it for several months.

But, this could be unrelated, since stopping the red cell and putting her on a good vit/min she really picked up weight and is actually where she should be weight wise now.

The more I read the more complicated things get.

deserthorsewoman 03-05-2013 04:55 PM

Of course:-)
I will research, that's for sure, about the iron.
Ironically, I already found that beet pulp his high in iron. And aluminum.

deserthorsewoman 03-05-2013 05:06 PM

Okay, here's what equi analytical has:
flaxseedmeal an average of 236
Beetpulp average of 600+
Oats 200
Most interesting......

I guess, to really know, one would have to have it tested, the variation in Bp was 200 - 1000, flax was 0 - 600. Obviously depending on where it is grown.

poppy1356 03-05-2013 06:32 PM

She was also on beet pulp. Which I personally find no value in as it did nothing. So perhaps it was all those together that finally tipped her over the edge. No worries now though as she has a pretty simple diet now that she's a chunky monkey lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 03-05-2013 07:15 PM

Most likely. Where the flax is the least likely since it's also the lowest in NSC.

I guess a lot of folks have to re-think their horse's diet.
I personally could never get myself to give beetpulp other than moistening the feed. Instinct? Doubt it. Rather experience. I knew somebody who was laughing about my carefully balanced broodmare diet and fed beetpulp and oats. Mare was nice and round. But, my foal out of that mare won the futurity, his subsequent foals, 4, same sire, never even came close. So I'm a bit biased about beetpulp;-)

tealamutt 03-05-2013 07:24 PM

Another reason not to give red cell. Iron deficiency is exceedingly rare in horses and that stuff is just another product put out there to make people spend money.

poppy1356 03-06-2013 08:34 AM

Well mine was severely anemic. Had a full blood panel run. So there was a purpose for the red cell. I had cut the dose in half and was going to just keep it as a multivitamin type thing until I found out about the link with iron and laminitis and the such.

I am a big fan of good alfalfa and grass hay and some oil. But now I wonder if all that iron was perhaps causing Lizzy to have problems gaining weight?? Since getting her on just the alfalfa and oil with a vit/min supp I have cut my feed bill in half and may perhaps have to start cutting back her feed. I can just barely feel ribs lol.