The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   I hate growth spurts! (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/i-hate-growth-spurts-155485/)

busysmurf 03-05-2013 12:34 PM

I hate growth spurts!

I seriously think both my kids have worms, lol. WOW do they eat!!!:shock::shock: And neither of them are overweight.

J will be 10 on St. Pat's and she's 5' 1" and 105 pounds. She's a tiny tiny bit on the pudgy side, her doctor says she's just well padded and by no means is overweight. I do need to keep an eye on her because she does have a tendency to eat whatever she sees during a spurt. She has the short and sudden spurts, usually only a day or two about once a week. I hope they end soon:? I've already maxed out her clothes budget for the year.

...and then there's Little Man. He would eat an extreme couponer out of house and home. I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE PUTS IT!!! He just turned 4 at Christmas, is 3' 3" and only 36 pounds (maybe a little more, I haven't weighted him in a month). He needs a 5T pant for the length, but 18 mo for the waist. He can eat half a pizza by himself!!! Last night he had 3 bowls of speghetti and 4 cups of milk. This morning he had 4 pancakes with strawberries, 2 packages of oatmeal, and a serving of grapes. Dr. says this is normal, and he's completely healthy:-o:-o

I'm screwed!!! How am I going to feed him when he's a teen??

waresbear 03-05-2013 01:17 PM

Give him a bale of hay?
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 03-05-2013 01:46 PM

I eat SOO much junk food!
Amps, muffins, fry bread with TONS of sugar, pancakes, pizza, doughnuts, cookies, Dr. Pepper, Doritos, Cheetos, ...everything you can imagine!
I weigh 110 and I am 5'6.5''. I'm taller than my mom and my oldest sister.
The weird thing, is I am a gal - usually gals aren't like me. tall, eats anything and everything and doesn't gain a pound. At dinner I usually eat at least 2 - 3 servings of whatever we have. Dinner is usually healthy - meat, veggies, and potatoes. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 servings.
I am done growing, but I eat anything!!
All my other girl friends are jealous because they gain weight on anything! ANd here I am eating EVERYTHING all the time!

ooh! lunch bell rang! Time for two amps and a cheezburger!!

DraftyAiresMum 03-05-2013 01:57 PM

My rugrat is the opposite, kinda. He's 9, stands 4'9" and weighs around 78-80lbs. Getting him to actually eat ANYTHING is a constant battle. He'll say he's not hungry or will ask for something (like grilled cheese), take two bites, and then say he's not hungry anymore. My ex-husband has the same problem with him. Yet every time I see him (he lives with his dad four hours away...long story), he's grown another few inches and has all new clothes (thanks to my ex-MIL). At Thanksgiving, he was 4'6" and 70lbs. At Christmas, he was 4'9" and 78lbs.

My brother has two boys who bracket my son in age (one is a year older, the other is a year and a half younger). K is taller than either of them, but weighs the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

littrella 03-06-2013 11:26 AM

I hear ya! My little guy started the school year in 7 slims & size 2 shoes & now 6 months later is in 10 regulars & 3 1/2 shoes. He can put down as much for dinner as his Daddy, who's 6'4" & about 260. He's so skinny that the Dr is always telling me to put as many calories in him as I can. Dr did notice that he is starting to "fill in" & put on some muscle. Gee, he started ridding lessons 6 months ago, coincidence?????

TurnNBurn144 03-07-2013 09:40 PM

sounds like my daughter! her daddys 6'4" im only 5'1" shes 2 april 27th, she weighs only 28lbs but is 36inches tall already. her shoe size is a 7 O.O all she does is eat! the othetr day she ate 2 eggs, 3 pieces of sausage, a banana and a handfull of grapes for breakfast.
Posted via Mobile Device

strawberry paint 03-12-2013 04:11 PM

Oh..... I hear you.
My middle triplet, Alana, eats like a horse too. My goodness...that girl can eat me out of the house within seconds....she eats more than her dad.
The thing is....I don't know where she puts her food (ha...ha...maybe I should test her out for worms).
I eat a little bit and my pants already feels tight...she just keeps on eating and still looks slim....I JUST DON"T GET IT!!!
Anyways....I would rather have them eat and be healthy than worried about thier weight and becoming anorexic.

FlyGap 03-13-2013 04:29 AM

28 Attachment(s)
Yep. I hate it too!
DD is just like DH, skin and BONES! She has grown 3 inches since fall, 3 INCHES!!! Is to my shoulder at 7 (8th Birthday is next week) and only weighs 58 pounds! So not my child! She was sick this week and I'm afraid to weigh her, probably lost 2 or 3. We look so odd together, me short and chubby surrounded by two emaciated amazons! Both of them have to eat 24/7 or else they'd disappear! Groceries? Yeah, it's wayyyy cheaper to feed my three horses!

I went out and bought E big Ugg like boots to take up her super high waters. I bought her new jeans too but they're too wide! Gymboree is the only brand that fits her, forget about cheap WM pants, ugh!

Hang in there! You are right, it's going to get worse. My brother ate us out of the house, I only survived because he didn't eat lettuce...

Saddlebag 03-13-2013 10:58 AM

Coming from a family of 5 siblings, my mother was concerned about blowing the grocery budget when 3 of us were teenagers with bottomless pits. Mom made good well balanced meals so the only way to fill us up was with a huge pot of potatoes. Not one of us was overweight. I had to do the same with my two teenage sons who went thro a 20lb bag a week. They were the picture of health and got rave reviews from the dentist.