The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   How much to board? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/how-much-board-155511/)

MammaCruz 03-05-2013 04:34 PM

How much to board?

Ok I just bought an amazing ranch. And want to allow others to board their horses here. I don't know what the going rate is to charge. I live in Northern Pennsylvania, near Scranton/Hamlin area.

I don't want to care for the horse--i will check on it during the day--make sure its got water and food. I would even let out the horse to the pasture and bring him back in at night. But you would have to do everything else, like cleaning, vet care etc.

How much should I charge? Here is some information:

There is a 75' x 120' Indoor Riding Arena and inside the same building is a 36' x 75' stable area. 6 stalls are finished, a bathroom and a tack room.

Outside the buildings are 3 separate fenced in pastures totalling about 15 acres of pasture. An outdoor "run-in" shed is in one of the pastures for the comfort of the horses in bad weather.

http://www.horseforum.com/members/41...se-ranch-5403/

I uploaded pictures!

kenda 03-05-2013 04:38 PM

Board rates vary widely by region. I'd check out your local craigslist and kijiji, look for self board and what facilities and services are offered, and base your prices on that. Also, if you're offering self board, you need to consider whether you will provide hay/feed, and if so, how much you want to customize feed programs, and if not, where your potential boarders could store their own hay and feed.

kassierae 03-06-2013 01:57 PM

Being very near your area(Poconos/Stroudsburg), I would maybe charge $200 for self care, tops. I know some fairly nice barns around here that only charge $150, but yours is very nice. If you were to offer full care, I would offer it at $350-$400, tops.

stevenson 03-06-2013 02:04 PM

Very nice looking place! I dont know what your area charges, but I had to compliment your place.

Annanoel 03-06-2013 05:18 PM

BEAUTIFUL ranch!

Taffy Clayton 03-06-2013 05:48 PM

Wow what a place!!!!

I would try and rent the entire barn to one person, maybe a trainer that can manage the barn and do all the work themselves. Then they can collect board from their clients and all you do is collect from the trainer.

Iseul 03-06-2013 06:05 PM

Shoot..if you want to rent the barn out to someone lemme know how much, lol. Might have to move up a few hours north, it's beautiful!

We have self care without hay/grain (so basically renting stall/pasture) around here for $150 in the Pittsburgh/Beaver area. Haven't heard of anyone including hay at a self care facility.
Full board is anywhere from $220-550 or so around here..which is why I'm at the cheapest (yet best run/amenity) barn on pasture board with 24/7 hay for $120/month. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

My2Geldings 03-06-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MammaCruz (Post 1923975)
Ok I just bought an amazing ranch. And want to allow others to board their horses here. I don't know what the going rate is to charge. I live in Northern Pennsylvania, near Scranton/Hamlin area.

I don't want to care for the horse--i will check on it during the day--make sure its got water and food. I would even let out the horse to the pasture and bring him back in at night. But you would have to do everything else, like cleaning, vet care etc.

How much should I charge? Here is some information:

There is a 75' x 120' Indoor Riding Arena and inside the same building is a 36' x 75' stable area. 6 stalls are finished, a bathroom and a tack room.

Outside the buildings are 3 separate fenced in pastures totalling about 15 acres of pasture. An outdoor "run-in" shed is in one of the pastures for the comfort of the horses in bad weather.

http://www.horseforum.com/members/41...se-ranch-5403/

I uploaded pictures!

Lovely place! in the area we live in, a property like that costs anywhere from $300-350. The only downside with the property is not having access to an outdoor arena. Great property otherwise.

AlexS 03-06-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MammaCruz (Post 1923975)

I am in SE Pa, so the price will differ for your area but here you would be in the $400-$450 a month range because of the indoor.

Based on what you are saying you want to do, you are just short of full care as stall cleaning was not included on your list of things to do.
I would recommend adding that, as then you are in the normal range of what places offer. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can offer discounted board to people who will.

If you do completely self care, then you always get stuck with those few boarders who run out of feed, don't clean the stalls etc.

MammaCruz 03-07-2013 08:15 AM

Rent the whole barn out!! Never thought of that...did not know that was an option!! Hmmm...

I know absolutely NOTHING about horses--you would not want me to take care of you horse! I mean I could give it water and put a blanket on it and make sure its got hay to eat. Maybe even shoo the fly off his back, but thats about all i know.

There would be a place for the people to keep their hay and water is available.

I put up an advertisement as SELF-BOARD--$300.

I received an email asking to have use of the indoor arena---how much do I charge by the hour/day??? They asked me and i didn't know what to say.

CLUELESS