The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Whiskers?! This one has been bothering me... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/whiskers-one-has-been-bothering-me-155518/)

demonwolfmoon 03-05-2013 06:46 PM

Whiskers?! This one has been bothering me...

Ok Guys, explain this one:

Why do some people shave the whiskers from their horse?

My chain of thought was this: Horses have prehensile lips, right? And I don't think they can see exactly what they are putting in their mouths. Don't whiskers have a purpose? Would shaving them not be somewhat detrimental to the horse? I was told many years ago that cats use their whiskers to feel around and make sure that they can get through small spaces...they are for sensory input and apparently, navigation. Wouldn't they then serve a purpose for the horse?

So, what is the purpose of, and is it detrimental to the horse, to shave it's whiskers?

PS....they do look kind of ugly xD

xlionesss 03-05-2013 06:48 PM

At an arabian show barn I used to work at whiskers were trimmed for the show ring. Can't justify any other reason than showing lol

Speed Racer 03-05-2013 06:49 PM

People shave them because they find it aesthetically pleasing. Nothing more or less than that.

I don't know as it's 'detrimental', but a horse uses its whiskers to feel something before they stick their face in it. They can and do get used to not having whiskers.

I always shave whiskers, bridle paths, and fetlocks before I ride. I don't like whiskery, hairy horses.

Casey02 03-05-2013 06:51 PM

For looks (tiding up the horse) or showing

demonwolfmoon 03-05-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1924115)
People shave them because they find it aesthetically pleasing. Nothing more or less than that.

I don't know as it's 'detrimental', but a horse uses its whiskers to feel something before they stick their face in it. They can and do get used to not having whiskers.

I always shave whiskers, bridle paths, and fetlocks before I ride. I don't like whiskery, hairy horses.

LOL you would hate all my horses then! I don't think I've seen anything hairier than those Shetlands in a winter coat, and my big girl is a bearded, whiskery beast! ;)

I may try to give Kiera a shave then, one of these days. It can't hurt her looks any

Roperchick 03-05-2013 06:52 PM

I shaved my horses for shows, now I shave em because they get so dang long they mess me up trying to get the bit in.

And they collect ice winter which my guys hate

demonwolfmoon 03-05-2013 06:53 PM

I was also slightly wondering if EVERYONE does it, would it make me a bad horse owner to not shave my horses

demonwolfmoon 03-05-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roperchick (Post 1924122)
I shaved my horses for shows, now I shave em because they get so dang long they mess me up trying to get the bit in.

And they collect ice winter which my guys hate

Yeah, the pony colt gets little icicles on his whiskers and beard sometimes.

I like your avatar btw =P

~*~anebel~*~ 03-05-2013 07:02 PM

It's illegal in FEI competitions to have shaved whiskers. I trim them all to a similar length, usually 4-6" and that's it.

I can't honestly tell, looking at pictures of horses in the show ring if they are shaved or not. I agree with the FEI that its unnecessary and detract from the welfare of the horse, if only a very minor amount.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fulford15 03-05-2013 07:05 PM

I always trim whiskers for the show ring, just a tidy look... I like my men clean shaven :wink: