The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feeding beet pulp... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feeding-beet-pulp-155527/)

alexischristina 03-05-2013 07:49 PM

Feeding beet pulp...

Okay guys, short question. Does anybody have the basic 'x kg of beet pulp per y kg of horse'?
I can't find it ANYWHERE, and would like to see the ranges for maintenance / weight gain. I've seen studies saying you can replace up to 50% of forage with beet pulp (huh, interesting) but nothing on how much per horse on top of forage.

alexischristina 03-05-2013 08:01 PM

" 1) feed no more than 2 pounds of dried beet pulp daily to a pony, 2) feed no more than 4 pounds of dried beet pulp daily to an immature horse from 1 to 3 years of age, and 3) feed no more than 6 pounds of dried beet pulp daily to a mature horse (body weight of 1,200 pounds). A feeding rate of 4 pounds daily in addition to the regular ration for a mature horse that was maintaining its present body weight would result in a gain of about pound per day. "

Well further searching found the above, but it's still not specific enough for my tastes. Why is this info so hard to find? What constitutes a 'pony', Shetland or medium size POA?

Delfina 03-05-2013 08:59 PM

All I know is that my vet told me "You could feed a 5gal bucket of that stuff to a horse with no ill effects".

I give my horse 3- 4.5qts (post soaking) depending on cold and how hard he worked that day. I don't give more than 3qts at a time though.

cowgirl4753 03-05-2013 09:10 PM

I feed mine out of a medium sized margarine container, 500g?? And they get a scoop and a half morning and night. That is post-soak. At night they also get their bran and complete feed mixed in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 03-05-2013 09:29 PM

Here's a pretty well written "article" on BP. Not sure it specifically answers your question but it seems to have some gems of helpfulness...

Beet Pulp

alexischristina 03-05-2013 11:10 PM

Thanks guys. (: It seems to be one of those 'do this, not that, but it'll take a lot of the stuff to hurt your horse' feeds :lol:

cowgirl4753 03-05-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 1924462)
Here's a pretty well written "article" on BP. Not sure it specifically answers your question but it seems to have some gems of helpfulness...

Beet Pulp

What a great article, me and a friend got into an arguement about beet pulp being very high in sugar. I kind of figured it wasn't as its from sugar beets after the sugar was taken out like stated in the article, but now I have something to back it up with!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 03-05-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl4753 (Post 1924660)
What a great article, me and a friend got into an arguement about beet pulp being very high in sugar. I kind of figured it wasn't as its from sugar beets after the sugar was taken out like stated in the article, but now I have something to back it up with!
Posted via Mobile Device

Right?! I love that website.
They have good information about basically all the more "natural" diet-additives one might want to feed - beet pulp, rice bran, flax seed, the low-down on ration balancers vs grain, the whole deal.

I refer back to it often! haha

Pattilou 03-05-2013 11:35 PM

That is one of the best things about beet pulp, low carb !

cowgirl4753 03-06-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 1924673)
Right?! I love that website.
They have good information about basically all the more "natural" diet-additives one might want to feed - beet pulp, rice bran, flax seed, the low-down on ration balancers vs grain, the whole deal.

I refer back to it often! haha

I have bookmarked it, definitely going to have to go through it and do some reading!
Posted via Mobile Device