The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Quadrille? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/quadrille-155542/)

Rachel1786 03-05-2013 10:59 PM

Quadrille?

I have a chance to be on the quadrille team at my dressage barn, I saw one of the practices a few weeks ago(they were riding before my lesson) and I asked my instructor about it and told her I was interested and I guess she thinks I'm ready because at the show meeting yesterday she gave me the info from and said it was given to riders who expressed interest and were capable of being on the team, so YAY lol. It's a good way for me to get more riding time in at a lower cost and it looks like fun.
I'm just wondering if anyone here is on a quadrille team and could offer me some insight and tips. My biggest challenge will be not getting nervous riding closely with other horses. I'll be riding a lesson horse, but my horse is a bit evil when it comes to other horses(once she ran backwards to try to chase another horse, mind you I repeatedly told the owner not to ride so close and she said "I don't care if she kicks her" :evil:) So because of how my mare is, I tend to get a little tense when riding close to another horse.
So, good opportunity?

~*~anebel~*~ 03-06-2013 08:17 PM

Yes quadrilles are super fun!

If your mare is sketchy around other horses, try to put her at the back or the outside of the movements if at all possible (with the choreography).
Once you get into riding the choreography you should be less tense. Try to just remember your cues and be prepared for things to go wrong in the test and know how to fix them! Once you know your cues and the music this shouldn't be a problem.

Have fun!

Rachel1786 03-06-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1926066)
Yes quadrilles are super fun!

If your mare is sketchy around other horses, try to put her at the back or the outside of the movements if at all possible (with the choreography).
Once you get into riding the choreography you should be less tense. Try to just remember your cues and be prepared for things to go wrong in the test and know how to fix them! Once you know your cues and the music this shouldn't be a problem.

Have fun!

I'll be using the lesson horse not my mare(that would be a disaster:shock::lol:) I was just stating how she is because it's caused some tension when riding in close proximity to other horses, even if the horse loves to be next to other horses. The lesson horse, Star will pin her ears and every once in a while act like she might kick if a horse is too close, but she's no where near what my mare would do lol.
I've been contemplating trailering my mare to the barn for a lesson and I'm even hesitant to do that just because she gets to tense, she starts calling and has her head up to the sky and gets prancy, which makes me nervous, which makes her even worse...I get stressed just thinking about it lol. Hopefully once spring comes and the ground firms up I can start riding her again and work through the issues that were caused by a woman I was letting ride her. Then if that goes well I'll think about taking her for a lesson and if that goes well, maybe I'll take her to a show at the end of the season, although I'm not counting on that lol...
But yes, Quadrille seems like it will be fun, there are 2 choices, and I'm not sure which I will choose, one team shows at about 4 shows(which could be tough since I work and have a 5 year old so limited time) the other team only does one charity show at the barn, I'm thinking that is probably the better option for me, but I'm keeping an open mind, I'm going to talk to my instructor on monday....my boyfriend just informed me i'm too long winded in my posts, so I guess I should wrap this up since he is still staring over my shoulder :?:lol:

palogal 03-07-2013 09:12 AM

Quadrille is great for your riding! It will teach you more about rhythm and timing then years of lessons. Enjoy it!

Rachel1786 03-09-2013 08:12 PM

You guys are making me really excited about it lol...now I can't wait for the first lesson and I don't even know when it will be!

Rachel1786 03-20-2013 02:12 PM

So my trainer text me and asked me if I would be willing to do Pas De Deux instead, she had 6(5+me) interested in Quadrille, 4 were teenagers and one other adult, so she thought it would be best to put the adults together. I'm completely fine with that, in fact I'll find it less stressful to only have to worry about 1 other horse rather then 3 lol. She's going to discuss the details with me tonight :-)