The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse afraid of new barn echos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-afraid-new-barn-echos-155554/)

Cowgirl1797 03-06-2013 12:53 AM

Horse afraid of new barn echos

Hi,
I recently moved my horse to a new barn that has a lot of echos. The previous barns my horse has lived in did not have this problem. The configuration of the barn is also not helping because the stalls are on the other side of a wall of the indoor arena but it is not a complete wall so that the sound from the arena can be heard in the aisle and the sound from the aisle can be heard in the arena. Whenever somebody has a horse in an area of the barn my horse cannot see he gets very frightened and will not calm down. I have been working with him but it has been a few weeks and he is still very scared. Does anyone have any ideas that i can try?

palogal 03-06-2013 02:11 PM

Leave him in the barn. He will get over it.

Annanoel 03-06-2013 02:29 PM

I agree, it's going to take time for him to adjust. I'd maybe let him hear the noise if it's someone doing it, then walk him over there and show him what it is. Otherwise, time is your friend here.

At my barn we've got a gun happy neighbor. The horses slowly, but surely have gotten used to it. I have a two year old I recently brought home from training we were trail riding in the back field when he decided to start shooting. He spooked, but has learned it's normal.

Palomine 03-06-2013 03:30 PM

You are making this problem worse by the way you are handling it.

The more attention, the more you act like it is a big deal? The worse the horse is going to get.

Quit talking/babying/soothing, and get after horse and mean it.

Tell it to quit it, and go on with what you are needing to do.

waresbear 03-06-2013 03:39 PM

Palomine is right, quit trying to calm him down, carry on as nothing is wrong and he will realize by your actions that nothing is wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device