The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would it be silly at a schooling show to... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-silly-schooling-show-155560/)

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2013 02:11 AM

Would it be silly at a schooling show to...

Wanted to get opinions on this:
Braiding for a pony club schooling show?
I would really like to since I won't be doing big shows this year so it's my form of dressing him up:wink:
Too much for nice white polos?
The arena we will be riding in has deeper footing and is much bigger then our home arena so extra support and nice white for presentation? I know how to wrap polos and other wraps correctly as to not hurt the tendons, have been a show groom for 4th level and PSG riders for two years now who demand wraps for warm up everyday at shows and for everyday riding and are very very picky about how its done so iv gotten good at it :wink:

Just wanted to get your thoughts, thanks!

alexischristina 03-06-2013 02:15 AM

Everyone braids for all schooling shows where I am :lol: aside from the jumper days, everyone dresses up and people are definitely judged accordingly. I don't know about your area, though. Could be a big difference across that border.

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2013 02:22 AM

Some people do and don't so it doesn't matter, I don't know the judge and it's been so long since I showed myself so it would be fun for both of us :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-06-2013 02:36 AM

I don't know about pony club rules but the polos are a no-no in regular shows for hunters. To me, doing the braiding and making sure the horse and you are just as groomed and presented as if you were at a World Cup Show, is a sign of respect for the judge.

My hubby and I argue all the time about not doing a 'Total World Show Groom' and I tell him if we don't, we don't show. PERIOD. So, take it from an old rider, it's how I do it and I would mark someone down for not caring enough to do it.

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2013 02:39 AM

Dream catcher, thank you. I know usually polos or boots are a no go I'm just thinking for the arena...deeper footing and bigger...for jumping I would not be wrapping!
He is a young horse and will be his first time on the show grounds...I'm justing thinking protection wise? Too much...I tend to worry about him lol I'm a worry wort horse mommy! Haha

alexischristina 03-06-2013 02:48 AM

I think for a schooling show on a greenie you wont be penalized too harshly for wearing polos on the flat. People tend to understand the want for protection at the lower levels on the younger horses, and if you're turned out perfectly otherwise it might help.

Klassic Superstar 03-06-2013 02:52 AM

I know that's what island people will know, just don't want the judge to not like it...something I'll either do or won't do...either she will approve or not haha

AlexS 03-06-2013 02:52 AM

I can't comment on the hunter rules for polos, as I don't know. But I dress for a schooling show the same way I would a rated show. I believe that's just respect and the right thing to do.

gypsygirl 03-06-2013 08:04 AM

are you in pony club or is a pony club just hosting the show ?
i would not braid or use polos. just pull the mane so its tidy. braiding in a no-no in pony club.

NBEventer 03-06-2013 08:14 AM

Polos are a HUGE no no for jumping. Even schooling you should never wear polos. Big big big pony club no no. Even more so if its deep loose footing. Polos can come loose, dirt gets in under them and irritates the horses skin, the can slip around. Just not meant for jumping, trail riding, cross country etc...

gypsygirl since when has pony club said no to braiding? We braided for testing when I did pony club, I went all the way to my B. Starting in D we braided to test. Braid for Rally, braid for PC shows and schooling shows. Its all part of a proper turn out.