The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Riding boots for girl? I have no clue how to choose! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/riding-boots-girl-i-have-no-155582/)

horselessmom 03-06-2013 10:44 AM

Riding boots for girl? I have no clue how to choose!

My daughter switched from English lessons to Western. I know that she's perfectly fine in her current boots (http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?strilhID=Web&strmdNumber=DRB0774&st ricSKU=DRB0774)

She'll need a new pair for the summer, as she outgrew her last year's boots.

Her last non-winter boots were those: Ariat Heritage Zip III | DRB0064 | Greenhawk

I figured she could continue riding in the same style (am I correct?) but I decided to look up what's available in the Western Boots in Ariat. And Wow! So many different names and types! Besides, I don't want to spend more than I was spending on a comparable English boot, which was $150 tops.

I have never seen any of the Western boots in an actual store, only on-line or at fairs (and they didn't seem to be good quality).

Questions:

1. Can she / should she keep on riding in her English paddock boots because she's used to them? There will be some local training shows in the summer. Is the type of the boot important?

2. How do Western Boots fit and feel differently compared to English paddock boots? She has wide feet, and is very picky about what is comfortable. She's also size adult 7.

3. I read here that the Fatbaby boots aren't a good choice, but they seem the ones that are wider? Are they wider? Why aren't they a good choice?

4. How do you buy boots if you can't try them on???

5. Is Ariat the best brand? What else is decent quality for a child taking lessons / doing small shows and not too expensive?

5. Also, if she does a training show, can she wear just a regular button down shirt? And how a "western shirt" from an equestrian store might be different?

Thank you in advance.

mls 03-06-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horselessmom (Post 1925148)

1. Can she / should she keep on riding in her English paddock boots because she's used to them? There will be some local training shows in the summer. Is the type of the boot important? Style should not be important as long as they meet show regulations.

2. How do Western Boots fit and feel differently compared to English paddock boots? She has wide feet, and is very picky about what is comfortable. She's also size adult 7. The lace up boots fit pretty much the same as a paddock boot.

3. I read here that the Fatbaby boots aren't a good choice, but they seem the ones that are wider? Are they wider? Why aren't they a good choice? Fatbaby's are more for style than riding. Our regional saddle club association has ruled them illegal for show. It's a safety issue with not being able to pull your foot out of the stirrup quickly in case of a wreck.

4. How do you buy boots if you can't try them on??? I don't. They all fit differently.

5. Is Ariat the best brand? What else is decent quality for a child taking lessons / doing small shows and not too expensive? Justin makes inexpensive and good quaility boots. Try tack swaps or talk to local barns where kids ride. They do outgrow them before they wear them out.

5. Also, if she does a training show, can she wear just a regular button down shirt? And how a "western shirt" from an equestrian store might be different? Again it will depend on the show rules. Another item to look for at tack swaps or in the local online classifieds. Facebook has groups for horse classifieds in our area. Maybe yours does too?

See above.

horselessmom 03-06-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1925167)
See above.

Thank you! :-)

I used to find plenty of English stuff second hand, but haven't seen anything Western. Maybe I need to dig deeper. :D

Oh, that's so good to know that the Fatbaby can be illegal. I really liked how they looked. I'm glad I asked first.

mls 03-06-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horselessmom (Post 1925208)
Oh, that's so good to know that the Fatbaby can be illegal. I really liked how they looked. I'm glad I asked first.

I have a walking around pair. (got them on clearance) They are very comfortable!

NeuroticMare 03-10-2013 08:53 AM

I would keep wearing the paddock boots :) I have owned the same pair of Ariat paddock boots that I show in for 12 years, and a few pairs of Terrains that I school in/ride in/clean barn in. Both for English and western riding and showing. I did get a whistle blown on me at a WSCA show (MN) for my Terrains, although when I showed the judge he agreed they were, in fact, legal but "looked like runners from far away". Not sure why my walk/trot pole run really mattered since I was at almost a minute and winning runs were around 10 seconds... but legal is legal (and yes, they are legal!).

Hopefully he'll bring his guide dog and cane to shows in the future :) Or maybe just come sober.

horselessmom 03-10-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeuroticMare (Post 1931095)
I would keep wearing the paddock boots :) I have owned the same pair of Ariat paddock boots that I show in for 12 years, and a few pairs of Terrains that I school in/ride in/clean barn in. Both for English and western riding and showing. I did get a whistle blown on me at a WSCA show (MN) for my Terrains, although when I showed the judge he agreed they were, in fact, legal but "looked like runners from far away". Not sure why my walk/trot pole run really mattered since I was at almost a minute and winning runs were around 10 seconds... but legal is legal (and yes, they are legal!).

Hopefully he'll bring his guide dog and cane to shows in the future :) Or maybe just come sober.

Thank you! I looked up Terrains, and they look very comfortable, and more rugged. I bet she'll love them. Are they okay for warmer weather / summer? The reviews mention how warm they are.

I wish I could keep the old pair from the last summer, but she's outgrown them, and they don't even look like resell material. Her winter pair, on the other hand, should sell in the fall.

MangoRoX87 03-10-2013 08:40 PM

I work at a western store and Ariat Boots are the most commonly returned. They just are a poor made boot.

Look into:
Justin
Tony Lama (I own 4 pair)
Anderson Bean
Nacona Boots
Dan Post

Old West is a good choice if you are looking for a more budget friendly boot in case she out grows them. Lots of kids come in and have abused the daylights of them and they hold up good.

CLaPorte432 03-10-2013 09:30 PM

I got a pair of Justin's for xmas and i adore them! They are soooo comfortable. I also have wider & flatter feet and they are perfect for me!

ETA: my mom and i have both had ariats and there is NO comparison to the Justin brand. Better made, more comfortable and CUTE!
Posted via Mobile Device

NeuroticMare 03-10-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horselessmom (Post 1931123)
Thank you! I looked up Terrains, and they look very comfortable, and more rugged. I bet she'll love them. Are they okay for warmer weather / summer? The reviews mention how warm they are.

I wish I could keep the old pair from the last summer, but she's outgrown them, and they don't even look like resell material. Her winter pair, on the other hand, should sell in the fall.

Yes ma'am :) I wear them all year round. I would spring for the extra $20 to get the waterproof ones. I had a pair of water resistant (not water proof ones) that lasted about 2 years, my waterproof ones are on their 5th year, and that is to the barn every day. In the winter I just use more socks (it gets cold here, but my barn is insulated/heated), like your daughter, I also have wide feet so these were a good solution for me. They are comfortable for walking around in too.

Delfina 03-10-2013 10:04 PM

My older kiddo and I both have Justin Gypsy's. They have a round wide toe, so very comfy but not so wide that you run the risk of getting stuck in a stirrup.

I love mine so much that if nobody is around I'll hop on my horse in them + full chaps which looks so well um.... interesting on my very English horse in a dressage saddle!