The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   swaybacked or not (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/swaybacked-not-155587/)

dlpark2 03-06-2013 11:04 AM

swaybacked or not

1 Attachment(s)
My husband and I rescued a horse that was malnourished in his former home. He was being kept on about an acre and a half with a donkey, mule, steer, alpaca, 5 goats, chickens, and 2 pot belly pigs. His owner was feeding him a mixture of oats and corn and the other animals would chase him away from his feed. He is about 20 years old from what our vet has said and has been putting on the pounds since we rescued him. Because of his age, I saw he is swaybacked, however my neighbor who owns horses says that it is just that his withers are prominant due to the malnourishment and that hs is high withered. Opinions?

BlooBabe 03-06-2013 11:08 AM

I'd say just high withered from that picture. Do you have one with his head up? It could be the start of swayback as well if he's an older guy, or just the malnourishment. His withers and top line could fill in with some work and weight.

Britt 03-06-2013 11:10 AM

Looks to me like he just has high withers. I looks like he'll look fine once he gets more weight on him. My mare has high withers, and if she's thin, she looks slightly sway-backed, but she's not.

Kayella 03-06-2013 11:12 AM

He may also be roach backed or have a hunter bump. They're similar in appearance(I don't have the eye to see what the difference is.) But, that may fill in once he builds his topline. His withers may also seem not as drastic once he fills out nicely. Good on you for taking on a horse who needs some good care! :)

Dustbunny 03-06-2013 11:17 AM

His back looks pretty good to me. Good withers!
I have a mare who is 21 this year and she has much more of a dip than your guy.

dlpark2 03-06-2013 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture with his head up at this time. He just wants to eat, eat, and eat. I swear he never has seen so much grass in his life. He is a docile old soul though and has become a lover.

wetrain17 03-06-2013 11:44 AM

I would say he is high withered. Do you have plans for this guy once he fills out?

dlpark2 03-06-2013 11:50 AM

@wetrain17 Just to ride and enjoy him and care for him with love for the rest of his life!

waresbear 03-06-2013 11:55 AM

He is roach backed and has high withers, however once he has put on weight and ridden, it won't be as noticeable. Thank you for giving him a good home and caring for him so well!
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl928 03-06-2013 07:04 PM

I agree with previous posters! You must keep us updated on his progress with photos though, got it? We like to watch horses go from looking like that to looking like happy horses with some meat on their bones :-)