The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Stubben Scandica (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/stubben-scandica-155625/)

tealamutt 03-06-2013 06:17 PM

Stubben Scandica

I'm looking at a Stubben Scandica and wondering what others think of this saddle. It is in nice shape and $475. I currently ride in a Niedersuss but I'm getting a new horse and the KN doesn't fit her.

Speed Racer 03-06-2013 06:44 PM

If you like Stubbens, you can't go wrong with any style.

tealamutt 03-06-2013 06:49 PM

I have never ridden in a Stubben. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere (southwest montana) and a saddle fitter, sitting in lots of saddles, etc. are not options for me. Just wondering what people's overall opinions are, especially comparing for someone who loves Neidersuss. I also really like my friend's Albion Style saddle, alas it is too narrow for the new beast!

Speed Racer 03-06-2013 06:52 PM

How old is the Stubben? The newer models are more cushy than the older ones, and a lot of people dislike the firm seats of the older model saddles.

tealamutt 03-06-2013 06:54 PM

Hmm not sure, I'll have to find out. Yes a hard seat is not so desirable to me. I've recently lost 20lbs of cushioning back there! :)

Messy 03-07-2013 03:37 PM

I think they are a bit like kieffer, uncomfortable and you'll need padded pants ;)

Speed Racer 03-07-2013 03:43 PM

I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, but they're sure as heck not cushy.

I have an older Siegfried. Yes, the seat is very firm, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable unless you're used to the cushy seats they're putting on the new saddles nowadays.

Messy 03-07-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1927404)
I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, but they're sure as heck not cushy.

I have an older Siegfried. Yes, the seat is very firm, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable unless you're used to the cushy seats they're putting on the new saddles nowadays.

sorry google translate didn't want to cooperate :lol:
Now that I see the words you're using and translate them I totally agree!

"hard seat" was the translation from Swedish :lol:

(I try to get better at English and I'm also a bit tired of the Swedish horse forum)

JaphyJaphy 03-07-2013 03:50 PM

I have ridden in a Thorowgood synthetic for the past 4 years, but recently I've been riding a lot in a Stubben Roxane. At first I found it almost too firm, but now I prefer it.

tealamutt 03-07-2013 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the tips. A good friend has a Siegfried she is going to let me borrow for a bit so I can try it out and see. Another gal at the barn also offered up her Passier to try out, not sure I can afford it if I like it though! I'm a little more of a fan of a soft seat so it will be interesting to see how the Stubben feels to me.