The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Pretty mare, color help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/pretty-mare-color-help-155641/)

ImpulsiveLucy 03-06-2013 08:56 PM

Pretty mare, color help!

4 Attachment(s)
I know, I just made a similiar post like this one.. But this one is for my rescue mare.
Her name is Charm, she does carry the silver gene- you can see it in her mane- and her babys have all come out a smoky grey/grulla. Or at least all of them that I know of her having before we got her! I haven't bred her due to her build not being the greatest! She's slightly coon-footed.

She looks kinda washed out or faded brown in her fall pics, but in the winter she is JET black! Drop dead gorgoues! The one of a braid is of her tail in a fishtail after it got washed and we got some of the urine stains out of it.

So what do you guys think of her coloring? I really like it! I haven't found another like her yet!

CLaPorte432 03-06-2013 08:59 PM

Not 100% sure, so im subbing to find out!
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 03-06-2013 11:18 PM

Me neither, but i am guessing at silver

Remali 03-06-2013 11:18 PM

I would say chocolate. Like you find in the Rocky Mountain horses... very stunning color! Pretty mare!

ImpulsiveLucy 03-06-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remali (Post 1926409)
I would say chocolate. Like you find in the Rocky Mountain horses... very stunning color! Pretty mare!

I love her! But now that its winter, she is jet black! Can chocolates do that? Go from brown/ black in the summer to jet black in the winter?

Chiilaa 03-06-2013 11:32 PM

"Chocolate" is a breed specific term for a black silver. So unless she is a registered RMH, then she is not chocolate. What she is is black silver. The silver dilute causes the mane and tail to lighten in that silvery manner as opposed to lightening in a red manner. It also causes the black base coat to be diluted to a purple/brown colour at certain times of year. It can also cause extreme dappling, hence it being called silver dapple at times. In Australia and the UK it is often refered to as taffy or silver taffy.

ImpulsiveLucy 03-07-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1926436)
"Chocolate" is a breed specific term for a black silver. So unless she is a registered RMH, then she is not chocolate. What she is is black silver. The silver dilute causes the mane and tail to lighten in that silvery manner as opposed to lightening in a red manner. It also causes the black base coat to be diluted to a purple/brown colour at certain times of year. It can also cause extreme dappling, hence it being called silver dapple at times. In Australia and the UK it is often refered to as taffy or silver taffy.

Thank you bunches!! I hate trying to figure out colors on different horses! I'm far better at conformation critiquing, than colors...
I actually am trying to get ahold of this little mares papers! She is a registered quarter pony. She stands 56 and 3/4 when trimmed, and just over 57 inches when she needs a trim.
So she should for sure carry the silver gene then right?? She had a smoky gray/ grulla kinda baby this spring..

FeatheredFeet 03-07-2013 02:10 AM

Black silver horses, are often a light greyish colour at birth.

Lizzie

verona1016 03-07-2013 10:10 AM

If you want to confirm, you can always test for the silver gene. Having a grulla baby doesn't necessarily tell us much, especially without pictures, since grulla = black + dun. The presence of silver isn't always obvious on a grulla horse.

ImpulsiveLucy 03-07-2013 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of one of her babys. Sorry its not the greatest!! But you can see her color at 2 weeks old. You guys are really good at colors! and she's alot darker than I thought.