The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Outside opinions on stud for my mare! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/outside-opinions-stud-my-mare-155649/)

ImpulsiveLucy 03-06-2013 10:36 PM

Outside opinions on stud for my mare!

3 Attachment(s)
I am so beyond excited! I've been trying to breed my Z baby for three years! I wanted a sport horse, so I was breeding her to a big Waps Spot horse. But then decided I wanted a working/ranch horse. I looked for 2 and a half years to find the one I'm looking at now! And everything is already lined up, and I really can't back out now. My mare, Impulsive Lucy, is 12. The last year you are supposed to breed a maiden mare. Plus, her injuries from birth are starting to catch up on her, she's already retired and she only showed for 2 years heavy. She's out of Impulsive Zipper, champion pleasure horse on the Appaloosa circuit.
The horse I'm looking to breed her too is a registered Quarter Horse, from Oklahoma. It is a acceptable breeding, even though I'm crossing breeds, I already checked! I can't remember his lines at the moment (Darn short term memory issues!) But he's owned by a friend of mine down the road. I see him every week at least twice a week. He's built AMAZINGLY! I fell in love with him! Teddy bear ears, BIG soft eye. Can't even tell he's a stud! He's a soft flea bitten grey color. No arthritis issues, lamnitis, back problems. He's as sound as my 4 year old at 28!

I haven't had much of a outside look on this whole breeding though, and thought I could see what you guys thought of him since everyone on here has had amazing insight for me so far on other things! So what colors you might think it could produce? Tips for breeding with maiden mares? Good idea/Bad idea?

I only have pictures of my mare, as I am not on my home computer.. I will add some tomorrow of the stud!

Yes, I know her hindend muscles are lacking in these photos.. I got into an accident and was unable to work her like I normally do!

Thanks ahead of time for any tips/ ideas/ thoughts!

lilruffian 03-06-2013 11:40 PM

Pictures of the stud would be very helpful. No horse is built 100% perfectly so it is good to try and match a stud that can compliment your mare as well as have a chance of altering any flaws she may pass onto the foal.
Do you know much about the stud's breeding background and whether or not he is consistent with passing on his grey gene?
If he is carrying two then the foal will grey and there is no way of telling how as all horses grey differently and at different rates.
It will also help to know what the stud's original base color was.

dbarabians 03-07-2013 12:55 AM

I wish you good luck with the breeding.
the only thing I question is the statement that breeding a maiden mare at 12 should be the last year to do it.
Plenty of mares are bred after 12 for the first time with no complications. IMO you have a few more years to worry about her age. Shalom

SunnyDraco 03-07-2013 01:02 AM

A breeding tip would be to test for all genetic diseases known to the breeds, both in appaloosa and quarter horse. Must be done before breeding to make sure they are okay to breed without a 25% chance of a foal effected by a disease you could've tested the parents for. Better educates you on your choices in breeding so you don't breed 2 carriers of some genetic disease. ;)

gogaited 03-07-2013 01:06 AM

I think it's counterproductive to breed an Appy to a grey.
I don't know why it's even allowed.

NdAppy 03-07-2013 08:28 AM

Please test you mare for Frame/OLWS as well before breeding. People swear up and down appaloosas don't carry it, but they are "crossed" so much with AQHA horses there have been horses that test positive as carriers.

ImpulsiveLucy 03-07-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1926450)
Pictures of the stud would be very helpful. No horse is built 100% perfectly so it is good to try and match a stud that can compliment your mare as well as have a chance of altering any flaws she may pass onto the foal.
Do you know much about the stud's breeding background and whether or not he is consistent with passing on his grey gene?
If he is carrying two then the foal will grey and there is no way of telling how as all horses grey differently and at different rates.
It will also help to know what the stud's original base color was.

Two of his babys were at his barn. One was a dapple grey, chestnut mom. And the other was a flashy chestnut with bright gold shading- full brother to the grey.

I looked for a stud with more slope to his shoulder that my mare is lacking, in hopes he will pass it on to his baby!

Joe4d 03-07-2013 09:04 AM

plenty of young horses already on the ground that can do what you want with out the crapshoot of breeding. Why create more horses when we have a glut now ?

ImpulsiveLucy 03-07-2013 09:07 AM

Thank you guys for your posts!!
I will most definitely look into the genetic diseases in more detail, as well as the frame/OLWS! I have an Impressive bred appy who I swear is lacking one side of his brain at times. He tested HYPP N/P. But he's a rescue, so that bad breeding is not on me ;)
I know you can breed a maiden mare later than that, I've heard of it being done. But my vet suggested I do NOT try it any later due to her injury to her neck starting to bother her.
As for gogaited's comment. Yeah it might be counterproductive *shrugs* but I've never met a stud that you could leave in the pasture with mares, and have him not try to breed them. Nor have I met a stud who had this nice of an overall temperamet.
Once again, THANK YOU!!

Faceman 03-07-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpulsiveLucy (Post 1926748)
As for gogaited's comment. Yeah it might be counterproductive *shrugs* but I've never met a stud that you could leave in the pasture with mares, and have him not try to breed them. Nor have I met a stud who had this nice of an overall temperamet.
Once again, THANK YOU!!

It's not only counterproductive, but as I mentioned in your other thread, breeding grey into Appys is frowned upon and is a highly discouraged practice. Breeding her to a grey will certainly not endear you to Appy folks, and if her foal is grey it will have less value than a non grey foal would have, as it would be disqualified as breeding stock by the majority of Appy folks, despite the Impusive Zipper line...