The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Scratches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/scratches-155653/)

mistysms 03-06-2013 11:20 PM

Scratches

How do you get rid of scratches? I have been dealing with scratches for awhile now and can't get rid of them. Its on all 4 of my horses legs. I'm going to get my vet back out to look at them soon, but tell then I was just wondering what other people have done to help clear scratches up.

snickersandme 03-06-2013 11:26 PM

Zinc oxide works amazing! Really clears it up :) and very easy to apply/use. There's one brand called penatin but any brand will do.
Posted via Mobile Device

mistysms 03-06-2013 11:30 PM

Where would i find that at? Any website you suggest?

~*~anebel~*~ 03-06-2013 11:36 PM

Actually, zinc oxide is one of the worst things you can put on true scratches. It softens the skin and makes it more susceptible to allergens and irritants.
What you want from your vet is a combination steroid and antibiotic cream, water based not oil or oxide based. Then clean the scratches well with plenty of water and hibitane (fluorhexadine) and dry them very well. Apply the cream topically twice daily and clean the legs sparingly (I find once every 3-5 days to work well).

It is also useful to find out what the cause of the scratches is. Some horses it is allergens to hay or grain, some horses it is zinc/copper deficiency, others it is standing in mud, etc.. so try some things out and make sure your horse has somewhere dry to stand come spring.

Good luck!

Druydess 03-06-2013 11:47 PM

I would also add that you have to soak/wet/wash and soften the scabby bits and gently scrape them off. It's an anaerobic organism (fungus) and will never die unless exposed to air. I have used Furazone with excellent results after washing with a fungicide, letting dry, and then applying furazone.

http://www.anvilmag.com/farrier/101f5.htm

mistysms 03-06-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1926444)
Actually, zinc oxide is one of the worst things you can put on true scratches. It softens the skin and makes it more susceptible to allergens and irritants.
What you want from your vet is a combination steroid and antibiotic cream, water based not oil or oxide based. Then clean the scratches well with plenty of water and hibitane (fluorhexadine) and dry them very well. Apply the cream topically twice daily and clean the legs sparingly (I find once every 3-5 days to work well).

It is also useful to find out what the cause of the scratches is. Some horses it is allergens to hay or grain, some horses it is zinc/copper deficiency, others it is standing in mud, etc.. so try some things out and make sure your horse has somewhere dry to stand come spring.

Good luck!

I will be talking to my vet before I try anything for sure because I want it cleared up this time. I know its not her grain or hay because when she first starting getting the scratches she wasn't getting grain but now she is getting grain and she still has them. Same with hay. How do i know if its a zinc/copper deficiency or how can I help her get more zinc/copper... My guess is because she stands in water/mud to much. She is on 100 acres but who knows she could be standing in mud and water all day. She legs are white too so i don't no if that matters too. Also you said she clean the scratches with water and "hibitane (fluorhexadine)" What is that? and where do i get it? When i do clean the scratches should I pick the scabs off? She is in the pasture 24/7 I'm wondering if i should stall her for a few weeks tell the scratches start to look better or tell they are healed.

Oldhorselady 03-06-2013 11:51 PM

I watched something recently, with some big time horses....but can't imagine what it was or where I saw it...but they used mineral oil and sulfur.

Druydess 03-06-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 1926463)
I watched something recently, with some big time horses....but can't imagine what it was or where I saw it...but they used mineral oil and sulfur.

Sulfur also works.. Nustock is a great product.

its lbs not miles 03-07-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistysms (Post 1926412)
How do you get rid of scratches? I have been dealing with scratches for awhile now and can't get rid of them. Its on all 4 of my horses legs. I'm going to get my vet back out to look at them soon, but tell then I was just wondering what other people have done to help clear scratches up.

If what you have is simply scratches tea tree oil will clear it up. It's what I've always used and it's always worked great. The very few times I've had to deal with scratches I caught it early and it was gone in two days.. I've seen it take a few more days of tea tree oil with bigger cases on someone elses horse. It's been a while since I've seen a case of scratches, but I still check when I do their feet.

Make sure that a case of scratches is what you're dealing with. It's good that you're having the vet out. There's a more serious condition known as chonic progressive lymphedema (CPL) that is sometimes seen with draft breeds, but I'm not sure about non drafts. It can sometimes look like scratches in the beginning.

Hopefully you're just dealing with scratches.

chronic progressive lymphedema

mistysms 03-07-2013 12:24 AM

I will try to take pictures tomorrow of her legs to show everyone.