The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Any experience with Kensington fly sheets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/any-experience-kensington-fly-sheets-155701/)

MySerenity 03-07-2013 03:22 PM

Any experience with Kensington fly sheets?

I am considering buying a kensington fly sheet and neck cover to help keep my OTTB from getting bitten up by the other horses and from bleaching out. We've decided to do the hunters so he needs to look his best :-) But, my trainer is worried that it will be too hot for him in the summer.

Has anyone used these in the summer heat before? Does it get too hot for them?

Anyone have a brand that they have used that prevents fading, doesn't get too hot but is also durable? My boy gets picked on a lot so it has to be durable.

gypsygirl 03-07-2013 05:14 PM

very durable and will not make them hot. worth every penny !

MySerenity 03-07-2013 05:45 PM

Thanks Gypsygirl! Appreciate the input. He will look adorable in the purple!

Saddlebag 03-07-2013 06:03 PM

Can the horses not be kept in during the day and out at night? The bugs aren't anywhere near as bad and I haven't seen a horse fade in moonlight. A blanket is fair game for bored horses.

MySerenity 03-08-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Can the horses not be kept in during the day and out at night? The bugs aren't anywhere near as bad and I haven't seen a horse fade in moonlight. A blanket is fair game for bored horses.
I could ask the BO, but I'm not sure if they would do that special for me. I will talk to them about it. I was actually planning on having him out on pasture 24/7 during the summer to save on money though. He's also a cribber and he does better with that outside. Thanks.

gypsygirl 03-08-2013 09:15 AM

my girl wears hers bc she is on pasture board and is a little sensitive to the bugs. she also fades =[ with the sheet she does fade a bit less and it does keep her body cooler than her neck- shes black. her old kensington i sold to my friend after 3 years of use [my horse grew out of it] it still looks brand new. she is in a herd of 30+ and they are rough. at my barn the only fly sheets that last more than a week are kensingtons haha

mls 03-08-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1927600)

The OP is in Wisconsin. Bugs would be bad at night too since there are many water sources.

MySerenity 03-08-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

The OP is in Wisconsin. Bugs would be bad at night too since there are many water sources.
sadly, so very, very true....

BigBenLoverforLife 03-14-2013 04:02 PM

My friends owns one for her mini, it is very durable and stands up well to her young horses abuse! Her three year old loves to dry to take a bite of it anytime she can! :)