The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   update on jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/update-jumping-155710/)

Hidalgo13 03-07-2013 05:36 PM

update on jumping

So 2 weeks ago I posted a video of me trotting/jumping/cantering. I got some helpful feedback, and I believe I finally stopped pumping at the canter (although my dad didn't film it so it might not be so) but I felt like I was doing it properly for once.

I'd like some more feedback though on my jumping. I am not sure, but I don't think I'm releasing enough. At least in the video it looks that way, but then when I was jumping Artus didn't really move his head much so I didn't feel like I was pulling in his mouth at take off. And then my trainer didn't say anything, but then that might be because she wants me to concentrate on other things first before she starts telling me the little itty bitty details.

She is very encouraging, which I find nice, because I was very frightened to jump before. I'd approach the poles and be so nervous due to some bad falls I had this summer at my old barn.

SaddleOnline 03-07-2013 07:07 PM

That looked very nice and smooth! I would ideally like to see your hands a bit lower with more bend in your elbow. You aren't releasing much, but he is just stepping over the jump and not requiring much release. Keep it up!

Oxer 03-07-2013 11:09 PM

More impulsion, my friend. Much more impulsion!

existentialpony 03-07-2013 11:25 PM

I'm new coming back to English myself, but just noted something that I am actively trying to change in my own riding... watch your lower leg at the posting trot! Your leg could be a little quieter. :)

Looks like you guys are doing well!

Hidalgo13 03-07-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

More impulsion, my friend. Much more impulsion!
That's my goal for next time. ;) I finally feel ready to push him harder and more forward. I held him back a little because I am still getting used to jumping again and it felt like we were going faster, but now that I see the video I can see we were going pretty slow and mellow. :P So yes next time more impulsion... and speed! :}

ponypile 03-08-2013 12:16 AM

You need to work on your leg. When you post your leg comes right off the horse because you're pushing yourself out of the saddle rather than letting your horse's motion push you up. This is partially because your horse doesn't have a lot of movement (not much bounce and swing to his trot) and because he is behind your leg (lacking impulsion). Your arms are also locked, and not allowing for much natural motion at the trot, which might be part of why he isn't trotting out as much as he should be. Because of the tightness in your arms, you're also posting with your hands. You look a little tense up there. As for your release, I think it was adequate for the height you're jumping, and you should continue doing this kind of release (crest release) while you're still learning. Other than that your posture is nice, and I think you'll have quite a nice position with a little more practice, and when your horse is going more forward and you're feeling a little more confident.