The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Best treatment for Thrush? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/best-treatment-thrush-155722/)

Black Beauty 94 03-07-2013 08:08 PM

Best treatment for Thrush?

My 18 year old has thrush, what is the best home made or store bought product that would work effectively if used several days a week?
Thanks

tbcrazy 03-07-2013 10:53 PM

I like white lightning! You create a gas to get rid of it :) it's on smartpaks website. Works REALLY well.

Army wife 03-08-2013 03:34 AM

50/50 bleach water. Just don't get it on the skin!

xlionesss 03-08-2013 07:31 AM

Contrary to popular belief, bleach(even diluted bleach) is NO good for thrush. Yes, it will kill thrush, but it will also kill the tissue in the horses' hoof causing a lame horse. I like Hooflex and No Thrush(powder)
Use it DAILY after cleaning the hooves thoroughly, then once thrush is cleared up, use 2 times a week as a preventative.

walkinthewalk 03-08-2013 08:26 AM

Ditto no clorox or anything else that will also destroy healthy tissue.

It really depends on the degree and depth of the thrush.

If it's already got a stronghold on the hoof and reached the point where the horse is sore and heading for lame, White Lightening, Clean Trax.

For less serious thrush issues that have crept down into the sulci but the horse isn't lame, ToMorrow works. ToMorrow is a cow mastitus treatment; sounds strange but it works really well, in many instances. After you syringe ToMorrow down in there, add some type of antibiotic ointment (out of the bathroom cabinet) and top that off with diaper rash cream to hold everything in the sulci for more than five minutes:-)

If it's just starting, there are a lot of good things on the market. It will depend what's available in your local stores, if you don't want to order from a catalogue.

My favorite is Absorbine Hooflex "Thrush Remedy". TSC carries it but it's cheaper in some of the vet catalogues.

Thrush Remedy is oil based, and works on the hoof for quite a few days. I use it just as a maintenance tool, whether someone has smelly feet or not.

Anything with Purple Gentian in it, like Thrush Buster.

walkwavy 03-08-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army wife (Post 1928286)

Bleach works well. Have used it for 50 years with no problem. If thrush is a reoccurring problem, you need to take corrective action. We may have 2 or 3 cases per year with a herd of 30 plus.

laurapratt01 03-08-2013 09:31 AM

I've found that Koppertox work the best. My guy had some pretty bad thrush a couple months ago and it cleared up in 3 days using it once a day. I have used the Absorbine product and Thrush Buster in the past and I am definitely sticking with Koppertox because it works insanely fast.
Interesting to hear of using Tomorrow... I'll definitely try that sometime since we have a ton of it around being a dairy farmer and all :)

walkinthewalk 03-08-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurapratt01 (Post 1928413)
Interesting to hear of using Tomorrow... I'll definitely try that sometime since we have a ton of it around being a dairy farmer and all :)

I was also surprised when a barefoot trimmer recommended "the concoction" that included ToMorrow:shock:

I don't know the ingredients but I know it is fantastic for thrush so deep in the sulci that 90% of the time, it goes un-noticed. I didn't notice it but the Trimmer sure did:shock:

That little needle nose on the syringe gets way down in the sulci without hurting the horse --- as long as the hand attached to the syringe is gentle:-P

The antibiotic next and diaper rash cream last, are to not only help with bacterial infection (fungal is also involved) but to hold the liquified ToMorrow in the sulci longer.

I have heard ToDay also works but comments are always "not as good as ToMorrow" :D

I still take my stand against clorox when there's a bad case of thrush; I have to wear gloves when I use it or my skin burns, I can imagine what that does to seeping open flesh deep in the collateral grooves and sulci:cry:

xlionesss 03-08-2013 11:09 AM

BO recommended Today for my horses thrush. I did Hoof Flex first, then put the cream on. Seemed to help relatively fast.

Black Beauty 94 03-08-2013 10:23 PM

I have been using this, but worried about the effect on the tissue.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Army wife (Post 1928286)