The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Recent EHV-1 outbreak. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/recent-ehv-1-outbreak-155723/)

Black Beauty 94 03-07-2013 07:10 PM

Recent EHV-1 outbreak.

I heard their was a recent out break of EHV-1 in Illinois. I am within 500 miles of the barn that was found to have cases, anyway I can stay safe and since I am at a boarding facility, what can I do?
Thanks

AlexS 03-07-2013 09:49 PM

It's everywhere right now. From Florida to an outbreak just announced a few hours ago in California.

If it's especially close to you, then I wouldn't go to any shows and just stay home. If your barn plans to bring in new boarders, make them aware so they quarantine.

There's not too much else you can do.

grayshell38 03-07-2013 10:01 PM

The IL outbreak is ridiculously close to me. And of course it has to happen when I am planning to move my horse even closer to it! Boo!!

Although I am moving to a private barn that hasn't housed a horse in several years, but still....
Hopefully this doesn't become any bigger than it is.

Black Beauty 94 03-07-2013 10:51 PM

Me too-- thanks for your replies. I am just worried. How long does the spreading usually last? When will we know it is safe??
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 03-08-2013 12:41 AM

I heard that down in Florida a lot of show were cancelled because of this. Some barn in my area have horses down there this could be bad

grayshell38 03-08-2013 12:57 AM

A direct quote from the FB page of my local riding club.

Quote:

According to numerous reputable veterinary sources, there has been an outbreak of EHV-1 in horses in Illinois. Equine Herpesvirus-1 causes respiratory and neurologic disease and is extremely contagious. Several cases have been confirmed at a farm in Gurnee, IL, and two horses with the often fatal neurologic form have been euthanized. Please consult your veterinarian for specific preventative protocol and use caution when considering transporting your horses anywhere during this time.

Effective this morning, Thursday, March 7th, the Barrington Hills Park District will close the Riding Center for one week as a precaution. During that time, BHPD will evaluate the threat and determine the necessity of any extended closure.

RCBH will keep you informed of all developments.

For more information about EHV-1 ...
FAQ: Regarding Equine Herpesvirus (EHV) - AAEP

AlexS 03-08-2013 01:46 AM

The HUGE shows, million $ horses went ahead, they just took precautions. If you are not at a barn that has horses coming and going, you will be fine. Even then you are fine if the horses are in a separate/isolated area.

It's everywhere, people just need to use common sense for incoming horses.

mudpie 03-08-2013 02:02 AM

Hey, AlexS, do you know where in California? Didn't get the memo. Googling turned up nothing. Thanks. :P

AlexS 03-08-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1928262)
Hey, AlexS, do you know where in California? Didn't get the memo. Googling turned up nothing. Thanks. :P

I didn't bother reading it, as it's so far from me. But I get it in my FB info.

EHV-1 Claims Life of Filly at Santa Anita | Rate My Horse PRO

mollymay 03-08-2013 03:04 AM

This might be dumb question, but are there vaccicines that can help prevent this?
Posted via Mobile Device