The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Eye problems-always take them seriously (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eye-problems-always-take-them-seriously-155766/)

Koolio 03-08-2013 08:23 AM

Eye problems-always take them seriously

So my old man Sam injured his eye a couple of weeks ago. He had a very small scrape on his eyelid and it was a bit swollen. The eyeball was fine, so I cleaned it and dressed it with a bit of triple antibiotic. The swelling was gone in less than two days and the wound healed quickly.

Everything appeared good and healed except Sam just didn't seem himself. He has alwaysnbeen the boss over his pasture pal, Koolio and since his eye injury he's been getting pushed around quite a lot. I wondered if it was just that he had decided not to be so tough in his old age, or if Koolio has just matured to be stronger in the herd.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. When I went to feed, Sam's eye was swollen almost shut, but with no evidence of new injury. You always wonder whether a vet call is necessary for something you think is superficial. Maybe he bumped it and it wasn't quite healed?

I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon and it turns out he had an abscess. He must have got a sliver in his previous wound that looked to be nothing more than a skin scrape. The poor guy must have had a monster headache with a marble sized pocket of puss pushing on his eyeball. Needless to say, it is now drained and draining and he's back home on some mild painkiller and antibiotics.

I'm so glad I made the call to take him in right away. Eye injuries can be so much more than they appear.

Cacowgirl 03-08-2013 09:43 AM

Glad you took him in & now he's on the mend.

natisha 03-08-2013 10:29 AM

Was the triple antibiotic made for eyes? If not it is very dangerous to use.

Koolio 03-08-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1928522)
Was the triple antibiotic made for eyes? If not it is very dangerous to use.

It doesn't go into the eye itself, but treats the abrasion on the skin. This is what my vet recommended.

Gremmy 03-09-2013 02:46 AM

Thanks for sharing. It's so important to take the eyes seriously, and this is why. Glad that he's recovering :-)