The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Agressive 4 yr old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/agressive-4-yr-old-155774/)

pocket 03-08-2013 09:58 AM

Agressive 4 yr old

I just started training two four yr old quater crosses this past month. The last few times I worked both of them, they were a little energetic, but otherwise well behaved. Both went around the arena, did several inside turns, and joined up just fine. Neither showed aggresion either, I was very confident in both of them. Yesterday though, when I took the oldest of the two, Luxor, out, he was extremely aggresive. I have never seen a horse act the way he did other than in movies, he wanted to hurt me, really bad. While he was on the lead rope still, he turned to face me and struck, reared and charged me for several minutes. Unfortunately my younger brother was riding my horse who is 33 in the arena with me, so I wasn't able to let him go without putting my brother in danger. I was afraid to punish Luxor in any way as well because it would only drive him towards me and make him more aggresive. If I had been the only one in the arena, I would have just dropped the lead rope and drove him as hard as I could until he was submissive or at least too worn out to do anything, but for my brothers saftey I had to hold on. When my brother finally got out my mom was yelling at me to come out, which meant that I had retreated and he won. I understand she didn't want me to die, which he did charge me several times, twisting his whole body he was bucking so hard, but that means he won. So now, I can't even take him out of his stall without being afraid he'll do something stupid again, so I can't get him safely across the yard to the arena where I will be able to fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

crom5 03-08-2013 10:05 AM

Does he behave in the stall?

waresbear 03-08-2013 10:07 AM

He needs an attitude adjustment, and it doesn't sound safe for you to do so by yourself. Please get a person experienced in dealing with aggressive horses to help you. An Internet forum is too limited to give you "tips" on such dangerous behavior and you could end up getting seriously injured.
Posted via Mobile Device

palogal 03-08-2013 12:12 PM

Hes got some issues definitely. It sounds like youre not experienced with this kind of issue
You need to find someone that is.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-08-2013 12:15 PM

This is very dangerous and I'd give you advice on what to do but it sounds like you do not have the age and experience to be working with a dangerous horse like this. He could put you in the hospital or kill you. I'd get a professional trainer or sell him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 03-08-2013 01:22 PM

I agree with the other posters - this horse is way beyond your capabilities.

You did many things wrong.
First the horse should have been corrected hard the moment he started the antics.
I would rather reprimand a horse I had on a rope than one that was loose in any size arena. A horse that is being 'attacked' from the front (and for safety slightly to the side) and being whacked with the end of the lead rope is not so likely to keep coming at the handler.

Send the horse to someone who knows what they are doing before you get hurt and make the horse worse by not being able to correct him efficiently.

pocket 03-08-2013 01:53 PM

He's not aggressive in his stall or pasture and he's very social, he loves to be pet and he's not aggressive towards other horses...the way he behaved the other day caught me way off guard. I know how to fix the problem, that's the easy part. I just need to get him safely from point a to point b without someone getting hurt. I know that sounds kind of confusing...

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-08-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocket (Post 1928726)
He's not aggressive in his stall or pasture and he's very social, he loves to be pet and he's not aggressive towards other horses...the way he behaved the other day caught me way off guard. I know how to fix the problem, that's the easy part. I just need to get him safely from point a to point b without someone getting hurt. I know that sounds kind of confusing...

Actually correcting a horse like this must be some a certain way or they never learn its not "easy" like you say for someone with your experience just trust me on this. He's spoiled and dangerous. I don't care how "good" he supposedly is other times.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 03-08-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

I know how to fix the problem, that's the easy part. I just need to get him safely from point a to point b without someone getting hurt. I know that sounds kind of confusing...
no you dont. The problem is that you cant get him from A to B. If he is trying to hurt you on the ground, on a lead rope, he can do much worse, free, with no method of control. I've worked with agressive horses, and you are in way over your head, especially now that he won round one.

please dont under estimate what this animal can do to you. if one kick or strike hits you right, you can be severely injured, disfigured and/or paralyzed.

Foxhunter 03-08-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocket (Post 1928726)

No, you are wrong!
Correcting this behaviour is never easy. From your previous post you say had your brother not been in the arena you would have turned him loose and chased him until he was tired.
What the heck would you do if the horse was loose and came at you. ears flat back, mouth open and punching with his front feet - with every intent of killing you?
I stick by what I said earlier, I would never have a horse like this loose in any arena for the purpose of working him.