The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Round Pen/Arena Plans Thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/round-pen-arena-plans-thoughts-155798/)

Wallee 03-08-2013 02:52 PM

Round Pen/Arena Plans Thoughts?

1 Attachment(s)
Going to attach my idea and let me know what You think. I am looking to attach my round pen and have it open up into my arena cause I am working with limited space.

Left Hand Percherons 03-09-2013 02:56 PM

So is the arena portion 200x75 or less the RP more like 125x75? The problem I have is where the curved area of the RP and the fence of the arena come together. Any tight chute area like that is asking for trouble.

What I would do is install 2 16 gates on the RP (both sides) where the curve meets the straight fence line. You can chain them open and use the entire area to ride in giving yourself a much larger area or you close them up when you need to use the RP. It will also enable you to get into the RP with a tractor to harrow the footing. You will also want to be able to swing one set of panels on the portion that is disconnected in towards the RP to give yourself a larger opening and to stabilize the fence.

Wallee 03-11-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1930295)
So is the arena portion 200x75 or less the RP more like 125x75? The problem I have is where the curved area of the RP and the fence of the arena come together. Any tight chute area like that is asking for trouble.

What I would do is install 2 16 gates on the RP (both sides) where the curve meets the straight fence line. You can chain them open and use the entire area to ride in giving yourself a much larger area or you close them up when you need to use the RP. It will also enable you to get into the RP with a tractor to harrow the footing. You will also want to be able to swing one set of panels on the portion that is disconnected in towards the RP to give yourself a larger opening and to stabilize the fence.

Actually its 200' seperate from the 75' round pen and I was considering closing off the little parts where the round pen meets the open arena with cattle panels.