The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   first batch of chicks hatched (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/first-batch-chicks-hatched-155809/)

Debbiesgypsy 03-08-2013 05:16 PM

first batch of chicks hatched

4 Attachment(s)
I set about 22 or 23 eggs 3 weeks ago. I candled the eggs at day 7 and it looked like all eggs were growing. I candled again at day 10 and tossed out 2 or three that had blood rings. then i candled again at day 18 and had to toss out a couple more that i could see were way behind the other eggs. so i knew they had stopped developing. That left me with 18 eggs that were due on the seventh. well yesterday afternoon they started hatching and when i checked on this morning i had 18 chicks in the incubator. I have another batch that is due to hatch in about a week. I have 30 quail eggs due in about 1 week (raising them for meat) then 9 Sussex eggs in 2 weeks.

I have them in a small animal cage. it makes a great brooder. I have a heat lamp with a 60watt bulb for heat. I need to raise it a couple inches as they are too hot directly under the bulb. In about a week they will be moved to a outside brooder with heat.

Here is a couple pics.

Attachment 132222

Attachment 132224

Attachment 132225

Attachment 132226

Foxhunter 03-11-2013 04:35 PM

We have been hatching since January and due to the bitter weather we now have there are young birds in every nook and cranny!
As I write there are two incubators hatching out, twenty goose eggs due next week.
We have chicks in the tackroom, in the aisle of one of the barns in a big run, all under lights. Another batch of 40+ are in the kennels.
Some will be sold off at an auction next week the rest we will have to find room for!

Cacowgirl 03-11-2013 05:01 PM

Baby chicks! I so used to love seeing a dozen or so chicks w/their mom pecking in the yard.

Debbiesgypsy 03-12-2013 05:20 PM

I only have 1 hen i let set and raise her own chicks and that is my little game hen. She was a stray that showed up here a couple years ago and was as wild as they came. She Is a very aggressive mother and will flog the day lights out of any thing that gets to close to her chicks. I know this from my own personal experience. I tried to look under her ONCE why she was setting. She came off that nest like a swarm of angry yellow jackets. She promptly flogged me from head to toe. she was so fast i could not tell where she was coming from.

Allison Finch 03-12-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbiesgypsy (Post 1934829)
I only have 1 hen i let set and raise her own chicks and that is my little game hen. She was a stray that showed up here a couple years ago and was as wild as they came. She Is a very aggressive mother and will flog the day lights out of any thing that gets to close to her chicks. I know this from my own personal experience. I tried to look under her ONCE why she was setting. She came off that nest like a swarm of angry yellow jackets. She promptly flogged me from head to toe. she was so fast i could not tell where she was coming from.

We need a photo of thei feisty hen. I love her already!!

Debbiesgypsy 03-12-2013 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is her.

Attachment 132680

Animallover707 03-12-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbiesgypsy (Post 1934986)
This is her.

Attachment 132680

She looks EXACTLY like one of my bantam hens! ill try to get a pic of her lol :)

Damadeer 03-13-2013 02:29 PM

Beautiful birds! Lol, makes me miss having them around. ;)

BoldComic 06-06-2013 01:02 PM

Uh oh! Prepare to be addicted to hatching chicks. Cute little fuzz butts though. I love hatching chicks. My hubby... no so much :)

Cacowgirl 06-07-2013 03:59 PM

That hen looks like the fiesty one I had years back-what a buzzsaw-I called her RoadRunner.