The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Division to Chase Points For?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JustWingIt 
#1 ·
Hey all!
So I'm planning out my first show season of being a member of the MeHJA (Maine Hunter Jumper Association) and I'm looking for input on what division(s) I should show in and try for high point.

So a little information about me and my horse: I am 15, I've had Xander for a year and shown him in 3 schooling shows and 1 H/J show. At home we've schooled up to 3'3" and Xander goes better over bigger fences. In fact, in my first show we went straight to the 2'6"-2'9" class, because he honestly just doesn't try over anything much smaller. I plan to show in at least two shows a month April-September. Xander doesn't move exactly like a traditional hunter, he's got a touch of Morgan in him and moves with a bit more knee action. However he has a nice bascule and tight, even knees.

So the divisions that I've been thinking about (copy and pasted from MeHJA's online rule book):

Special Working Hunter:
No restrictions as to age or status of horse/pony or rider.
Open to horses and/or ponies.
Fences not to exceed 2'6".
SPECIAL WORKING HUNTER
To be judged on manners, performance, and soundness.
SPECIAL WORKING HUNTER STAKE
To be judged on manners, performance, and soundness.
SPECIAL WORKING HUNTER UNDER SADDLE
To be shown at a walk, trot and canter both ways of the ring maintaining light contact with horse's mouth. Horses should be obedient, alert, responsive and move freely. They should not be eliminated for slight errors. No more than eight horses will be asked to canter at once, may be asked to hand gallop one way of the ring. To be judged on manners, performance and soundness.

CHILDREN'S HUNTER DIVISION
Open to horses and ponies. To be shown by Junior exhibitors. Junior exhibitors 15-17 years of age, inclusive, must be eligible for Intermediate equitation over fences as of December 1st of the current show year. The same horse/pony and rider combination cannot show in any other rated hunter or jumper division at the same show with the exception of Equitation, Special Hunter and Low Hunter divisions.
Fences no higher than 2'6 for ponies and 3' for horses.
Horses and ponies to show over same course.
CHILDREN'S HUNTER
To be judged on performance and soundness. Manners shall be emphasized and extreme speed shall be penalized.
CHILDREN'S HUNTER STAKE
To be judged on performance and soundness. Manners shall be emphasized and extreme speed shall be penalized.
CHILDREN'S HUNTER UNDER SADDLE
To be shown at a walk, trot and canter both ways of the ring maintaining light contact with horse's mouth. Horses should be obedient, alert, responsive and move freely. They should not be eliminated for slight errors. No more than eight horses will be asked to canter at once, may be asked to hand gallop one way of the ring. To be judged on performance and soundness. Manners shall be emphasized and extreme speed shall be penalized.

LOW WORKING HUNTER DIVISION
Open to horses and riders of any age with no restriction as to status. Conformation not to count. Fences not to exceed 3'.
LOW WORKING HUNTER
To be judged on performance and soundness.
LOW WORKING HUNTER STAKE
LOW WORKING HUNTER UNDER SADDLE
To be shown walk, trot, canter both ways of the ring maintaining light contact with the horse's mouth. Horses should be alert, obedient, responsive and move freely. They should not be eliminated for slight errors. At the discretion of the judge,no more than eight horses at a time may be asked to hand gallop collectively, one way of the ring. To be judged on performance and soundness.

WORKING HUNTER DIVISION
Points will be awarded in the following classes only if the prize list does not specify conformation to count in judging.
The minimum and maximum height of fences must be specified in each class. Height of fences at the option of the show management but should be a minimum of 3'6".
WORKING HUNTER
HANDY WORKING HUNTER
To be shown over a special course, obstacles simulating those found in trappy hunting country. Emphasis on judging to be placed on promptness and manners.
WORKING HUNTER STAKE
WORKING HUNTER UNDER SADDLE
To be shown at a walk, trot and canter both ways of the ring maintaining light ocntact with the horse's mouth. Horses should be obedient, alert, responsive and move freely. They should not be eliminated for slight errors. At the discretion of the judge, no more than eight horses to hand gallop collectively at a time one way of the ring. To be judged on performance and soundness.

I'm thinking of doing two divisions (it's allowed, I've checked) and as wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience/whatever to share?
Thanks!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.