The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Stall floor question (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stall-floor-question-155835/)

mistysms 03-08-2013 07:33 PM

Stall floor question

I'm making a stall in our shed and the floor is concrete. My horse will be in the stall every night for at least a month and also inside if its raining. So I want it to be comfortable for her to stand on for long periods of time. On top of the concrete should I put rubber stall mats? The ones i'm wanting to buy are from Tractor Supply and are 4ft x 6ft and 3/4 inches thick and cost $40.00. I was thinking about putting the mats down over the whole stall and then putting straw or pellets. I don't have any experience with a horse being stalled.

My questions are....
Is 3/4 inch think rubber mats think enough?
If now how think should I get and where do you suggest i buy them at?
Do you think straw or pellets are better?

PilatesGal 03-08-2013 07:55 PM

I am not all that knowledgable, but I can tell you how it's done where we currently board our horses. She has concrete floors as well, and has the entire stall covered with 5/8 rubber mats. She then puts about 6 inches of shavings down over the whole thing. I'm going to follow this thread to see what people say ... when we move (in 3 weeks - yikes!) we've got concrete floors as well, and the rubber mats. I was planning on doing shavings (it's all I've seen) but will be curious to hear if there is something better.

FGRanch 03-08-2013 07:59 PM

3/4 inch with a thick layer of shavings is fine, that is what everyone I know uses.

stevenson 03-09-2013 02:02 AM

those are decent stall mats. and yes you want some shavings or straw over the rubber mat. :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-09-2013 02:08 AM

I use the 3/4" thick mats from TSC. They are very durable and don't slip a lot, YAY! I've used others that were horrible for slipping. I'd vote for shavings if you can buy them in bulk or pellets if you can't. Reason I say shavings in bulk is because I can buy a year's worth of shavings in bulk for what 1 pallet of the bagged shavings will cost me. If you can't buy the shavings in bulk or if you have no place to store them, then I prefer pellets. Put down several more bags than they recommend and pick every day. They last a LOT longer than shavings before you need to strip and rebed, so they're more cost effective.

STRAW SUCKS, IMO! I use it when I'm foaling but as soon as the baby is a month or so old, I go back to just shavings. Straw isn't very absorbent and it can weigh a TON when it's wet as well as being stinky. I just put down my last bale of straw for the new foal today, and when that's done he'll be a month old and I'll be back to just shavings. YAY!

mistysms 03-09-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1929732)
I use the 3/4" thick mats from TSC. They are very durable and don't slip a lot, YAY! I've used others that were horrible for slipping. I'd vote for shavings if you can buy them in bulk or pellets if you can't. Reason I say shavings in bulk is because I can buy a year's worth of shavings in bulk for what 1 pallet of the bagged shavings will cost me. If you can't buy the shavings in bulk or if you have no place to store them, then I prefer pellets. Put down several more bags than they recommend and pick every day. They last a LOT longer than shavings before you need to strip and rebed, so they're more cost effective.

STRAW SUCKS, IMO! I use it when I'm foaling but as soon as the baby is a month or so old, I go back to just shavings. Straw isn't very absorbent and it can weigh a TON when it's wet as well as being stinky. I just put down my last bale of straw for the new foal today, and when that's done he'll be a month old and I'll be back to just shavings. YAY!

I think i'm going to use pellets because i don't have any where to store the shavings in less i buy them in bags. (still don't no where i'm going to store hay yet) I did hear to put down a lot of bags the first time. I have a funny question tho...She she pees in her stall will her pee just get soaked up by the pellets or will it sometimes go under the stall mats?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-09-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistysms (Post 1930897)
I think i'm going to use pellets because i don't have any where to store the shavings in less i buy them in bags. (still don't no where i'm going to store hay yet) I did hear to put down a lot of bags the first time. I have a funny question tho...She she pees in her stall will her pee just get soaked up by the pellets or will it sometimes go under the stall mats?

Yes to both questions. If you don't make sure you either clear out the pee spots every day or stir around the saw dust (what the pellets turn into) to soak up any standing pee, it can get under the mats. If you put down say, 8 -10 bags of pellets in a 12 X 12 stall, and you pick the poo and wet spots at least daily, and add a new bag of pellets every week or 10 days, then you shouldn't have to strip the stall to the mats except once a month or so. If you're not scrupulous about picking, then the pee can get under the mats and you'll have to pull mats when you strip the stall. Otherwise, you might only have to pull mats once or twice a year, if things start to smell bad. If she has a favorite pee spot, you can also put a layer of pellets down before you put down the dampened pellets, that way you have dry pellets to soak up urine and break into more saw dust to keep her from soaking down a favorite spot. Some mares are fairly neat and others are just......er...pigs. I have one that I swear pees, poos and then walks in circles to stir it all around. Then I've got a couple who poo in the same spot everytime and then pee on top of the poo. If you don't pick them out every day they turn into concrete but it's easy, just one spot 2 or 3 forkfulls and you're done. The one who stirs, I have to sift her stall every day. Every bit of bedding in the stall.

mistysms 03-09-2013 11:53 PM

I do plan on cleaning the stall every morning when I let her out so hopefully It won't go under the mats

LuckyRVT 04-08-2013 09:48 PM

What do you think about putting dirt in between the concrete and rubber mats? good idea for extra cushion or not? Im also new at this and have no idea what to do with my concrete floors! thanks for posting this!