The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Winter fuzz, or a growing mane? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/winter-fuzz-growing-mane-155837/)

JaneyWaney9 03-08-2013 09:14 PM

Winter fuzz, or a growing mane?

1 Attachment(s)
My filly is a yearling, but considered a two year old for showing (she was born in August of 2011).

My other horse is full grown, and he grows hair by his mane, enough that it sticks up and is definitely longer (it's about 2 inches long) than the hair from his coat. It always comes out when he sheds out.

My filly has something similar, only hers is really long and thick. It has the same texture as her mane, but she's young, so it is still soft anyway. There is a photo below.

I don't want to pull her mane or anything until that falls out, but I'm not positive it's there because of winter. I did pull her mane last year, when she was just a weanling, so I'm wondering if it's just old hair that grew back. I don't know, though, because it is growing from the top and you obviously pull from the bottom. Since she is young, it may be winter hair. I can't tell!

Can you tell if this is just winter fuzz, or actual mane?

Attachment 132288

smrobs 03-08-2013 09:20 PM

I'd lay odds that most of it is just winter fuzzies.

Duren 03-09-2013 05:41 AM

My guess would be that it is new mane hair that is just too light weight to lay down with the rest of the mane.

I - personally - have a similar issue with MY hair. I call them my baby hairs and they stick straight up. I mostly notice them right at my hairline. As the baby hairs get longer they lay down with the rest of my hair. I'm guessing the same will go for your yearling.

Try a mane tamer hood :)

Legend 03-12-2013 10:26 PM

My mare has those little hairs sticking up year round. I have decided they must be just her mane? I dont know. ^^^ Duren - I have them too. I call them "sticklets". Absolutely hate those things :lol: