The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Is this a common practise? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/common-practise-155839/)

alexischristina 03-08-2013 08:21 PM

Is this a common practise?

A family friend has informed us that in order to test her up-coming stud's genetics she would like to find three of the ugliest mutt mares she can, breed and see what part of 'his' genetics are thrown to the baby.

She's a very 'old school horseperson' type, and my mom, who knows very little about horses and breeding thinks it's a brilliant idea, suggested our Shetland mare...

Thankfully we have a buyer lined up for said Shetland. Is this a 'common practise' or is it absolutely insane. I think it's the latter.

Note, this stud is an '09 baby, only recently been backed. Super loud and flashy, at least registered, but still.

smrobs 03-08-2013 08:28 PM

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45233...57447&pid=15.1

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

paintedpastures 03-08-2013 08:34 PM

so when the ugly mutt foals arrive how does she know what ill confo came from her stallion or the mares:lol:.Naturally she'll blame the mares....but will be none the wiser of her stallion:wink:.
If she would start with good quality producing mares then she would better know her stallion's shortcomings if the foals end up less than stellar:-)

Druydess 03-08-2013 08:36 PM

You gotta be kidding me..
That's absolutely asinine!

Celeste 03-08-2013 08:37 PM

Or even better, why not get this horse into serious competition? If he has a successful career, he can bring good money for his stud fees. If he is not successful, he can be gelded.

alexischristina 03-08-2013 08:37 PM

And, y'know, she's not going to be stuck with the foals because she's offering free stud service and the mare owner gets to keep the baby.

The problem here is this is the same lady who wants a 'breed back' to the mare we bought from her. But after this show of her 'knowledge' I definitely don't trust her to give pay up for the proper care the mare will need (mare is 21).

I just... am over here going 'whaaaaa'. And mum says "well I'm not even going to compare your knowledge to her knowledge, it's just something we'll never agree on."

-many many face palms-

NdAppy 03-08-2013 08:38 PM

Um. Test his genetics for what? What he produces colorwise, conformation wise or just that he can sire foals.

Color or genetic diseases... Horse Testing - Equine Genetic Testing or Horse Tests

WSArabians 03-08-2013 08:38 PM

Wow. Just...wow. :shock:

anniegirl 03-08-2013 08:39 PM

That is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard....some ppl shouldnt be allowed outside...lol ya...thats it...let's breed a bunch of mutts ....because there's not enough out there.....:evil:

Druydess 03-08-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegirl (Post 1929341)
That is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard....some ppl shouldnt be allowed outside...lol ya...thats it...let's breed a bunch of mutts ....because there's not enough out there.....:evil:

Apparently, judging from human stupidity and obvious inherent genetic broken links, "human mutts" are outnumbering the rest of us.. :shock:

They "tested" their genetics.. and failed..