The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Looking for advice on possible lease (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/looking-advice-possible-lease-155847/)

kae 03-08-2013 09:14 PM

Looking for advice on possible lease

Hi all,

I've been looking around for a lease for about a month, and I've come up with the following two options. I'm having trouble deciding what to do, so I figured I would seek some advice from those with more horse and riding experience than myself.

Option 1:
I can lease a horse for 2 days/week and take 1 lesson/week on a lease day for $615/month, which for me, is on the high side. The advantage of this lease in my eyes is that I can participate in show whenever I'm ready, which is ultimately my end goal in seeking a lease.

Option 2:
I can lease a horse for 3 days/week and take 1 lesson/week on a lease day for $545/month. I like this option because it makes it much more affordable, and I get one more day of riding. This barn also has a working student program, which means I can work off some of the cost (pro), but I would have to drive to the barn 5 days/week for about $120 in gas/month (con), but it still comes out to be less than option 1. The downside is that I can't participate in show with a partial lease at this facility. To show, I would have to do a full lease. A full lease is $770/month without any lessons. With 1 lesson/week I'd be looking at $930/month, so I'd have to basically work my butt off at the barn to even come close to paying for it.

So long story short.. should I go with the more expensive option 1 and be guarenteed the ability to show, or should I go with the more affordable option 2, but no potential to show with a partial lease? I mean what is a decent time frame from when a person begins riding to when they start showing? If it's going to take months, then I'm thinking option 2 might be fine to start. And look at a full lease later.

I could use some other opinions!

Thanks a lot!

tfinch 03-11-2013 03:23 PM

If you're spending $120 in gas for option 2, doesn't that in theory raise the rate to more than you'd be spending in option 1? How much would you be spending for gas with option 1?

kae 03-11-2013 03:41 PM

Technically yea it does. But the $120 in gas is due to driving there 5 days a week to work off ~$160 of the lease cost. So it becomes $505 in total. I would spend about $30 driving to the other location. But that's because I would only be going there 2 days/week.

SlideStop 03-11-2013 03:58 PM

Is go with the first one, much less complicated & and in the long run the most cost effective. Unless your parents are paying for it then how do you expect to pay for this lease and work at the barn 5 days a week and ride at the same time? Working at a barn usually = no or late riding time. Not fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

kae 03-11-2013 04:08 PM

I'd only have to work 1 hr. at the barn per day. It wouldn't be like another full time job or anything like that. So I thought it might not be so bad to work 1 hr. for 5 days and save $160. That covers the cost of lessons once a week at that barn.

Taffy Clayton 03-11-2013 04:19 PM

Ask if you can work for 5 hours on one day, or 2 1/2 hour two days.
Option one looks like no fun
Option two at least you will be at the barn and learn something just by osmosis.

kae 03-11-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1933145)
Ask if you can work for 5 hours on one day, or 2 1/2 hour two days.

That's a good idea! I will definitely ask about that. Would save some money on gas too.