The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   position on shipping a saddle?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/position-shipping-saddle-155848/)

garlicbunny 03-08-2013 09:27 PM

position on shipping a saddle??

I need to send a saddle back to the saddle company. When it was shipped to us a year ago it was in a horizontal box and was either right side up or upside down with the horn on the bottom. I think it was upside down on the box so what how would you ship it? thank you

mammakatja 03-08-2013 10:17 PM

I've shipped a western saddle back due to receiving the wrong size and I shipped it just like I received it, right side up with the stirrups kind of tucked underneath it. You might want to wrap the horn with something for good measure. And then just stuff a bunch of paper or air bags around it so it won't shift during shipping. UPS includes insurance in their prices so that's how I would send it.

SouthernTrails 03-09-2013 01:13 AM

The 9 manufactures I have dealt with over the years all ship Western Saddle upside down with very little packing, the horn is wrapped so as to not poke a hole in the bottom of the box.

boots 03-09-2013 02:25 AM

I ship my saddles when I travel for work.

Pretty much, I let the UPS store pack my western saddles. My forward seat and polo saddles I wrap in a layer of bubble wrap, lay them on a side, and smoosh them into a box.

I've been doing this for years and never had a problem.

mammakatja 03-09-2013 03:45 AM

LOL! This is really helping isn't it?! So far you've been told 3 different ways. I figure as long as that horn is wrapped a little, it doesn't really matter how you put it in the box. At least, if UPS does it for you, the responsibility falls on them if something goes wrong.

TackJack 03-09-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammakatja (Post 1929777)
LOL! This is really helping isn't it?! So far you've been told 3 different ways. I figure as long as that horn is wrapped a little, it doesn't really matter how you put it in the box. At least, if UPS does it for you, the responsibility falls on them if something goes wrong.

I would go with what SouthernTrailsGA said. If manufacturer's ship that way, and they probably ship thousands of saddles collectively, it's probably considered the best way.

I think just make sure the stirrups aren't going to scratch the opposite fenders.

COWCHICK77 03-09-2013 08:51 AM

When I ship saddles I too lay them on their sides.
That is how saddle makers have shipped them to me.
A piece of sheeping on the horn with a rubber band, the saddle wrapped in a big chunk of canvas and the void areas stuffed tightly with air bags and packing material.

Saddlebag 03-09-2013 09:07 AM

I ship saddles right side up with bubblewrap on the horn. The box is marked "this side up". Never had a problem. When saddles come in for repair I often have to deal with all the packing material that isn't necessary. BTW, always put the recipients particulars on the saddle. I put the info in a baggie and secure it with string to the horn or handhold.

garlicbunny 03-09-2013 06:33 PM

Thank you all for your great responses! Yes Momma it was confusing but I went with horn down wrapped in the same fleece it was shipped to me (was smart to save it huh?).I also had a handful or so of plastic bags as cushionig on the bottom but nothing on top, in a heavy duty plastic bag with the letter and addresses of both saddle company and mine. Cost more than I thought it should but its done and will be on its way on Monday morning. $68.00 to ship ground and should arrive Wed or Thursday, Was $200.00 to ship air and the only coupon that applied was $2.00 off the air shipped price. Oh and as a reminder it was sent back in the same box it came in..now the wait..