The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Taking off and bucking... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/taking-off-bucking-155852/)

ChevysMyBoy 03-08-2013 10:51 PM

Taking off and bucking...

Well, Chevy has a tendancy to take off and buck during the winter. I know its because he is frisky due to the cold weather and that doesn't bug me at all. I have had some practice with bucking horses and that doesn't really bother me. Anyways, when he does that I am not mentally scared and it doesn't phase me but my legs turn into jelly and its REALLY aggrivating:evil:. I have to stop and walk a couple of 20 meter circles. If I don't stop and walk, my legs do all nutso, I can't sit the trot because my balance is off and I could really use help. So, I guess I am asking: How do you take care of the "something unexpected just happened" jelly legs?

boots 03-09-2013 03:17 AM

I work out. I try to prep in late winter (I've recently started my annual workout) to tone up for our busy riding season. I notice that my legs will shake if I have to put out a lot of effort.

It has to do with the ability of the muscles to sustain a contraction. In better shape = longer contractibility. Not so hot for strength and endurance? Muscles go into anerobic contraction and that gives you the twitching and often soreness.

If you're not in pretty good condition, as you put out effort not all the muscles that are needed (within a group for a motion) will contract effectively. Even slight imbalances will be noted as twitching/shaking.

Kind of hard to explain briefly, for me. I'm better at drawing pictures!

ChevysMyBoy 03-09-2013 03:31 PM

Thank you for the reply but I don't think you understand what I was trying to say. My legs turn into jelly because I am "scared", although I am not really scared. My legs are VERY fit. I can run the mile in 6:23 minutes and my legs don't hurt at all.