The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Ring Bone ? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/ring-bone-155863/)

AliciaM 03-08-2013 11:54 PM

Ring Bone ?

1 Attachment(s)
Just looking for some advice as to whether this looks like start of ring bone on my 7 year old mare.

HollyBubbles 03-09-2013 12:10 AM

Welcome to the forum :)
I'm not sure if you can even see ringbone from the outside, to me it just looks like a hoof with her coronet band up top.

Your best bet would be to consult your vet if you are worried, a friend of mine had her huge wb gelding for several years and he kept going lame with no apparent cause, but when the vet did x-rays etc on him not long ago it was confirmed that he has ringbone, nobody could tell from the outside.

What makes you wonder if your horse has ringbone?

AliciaM 03-09-2013 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have never seen ring bone I am actually pretty "ignorant" to what it is. I was just told by a friend that had a gelding that had it. What makes me think it may be is just the fact it looks like a new piece of hoof forming, on her hind ( left and right) it nearly wraps right around to near the upper part of the frog. From pictures on some websites show something similar to what she has. It is so hard to say from pictures. It is really strange actually, I can almost pick the "growth" off her hoof. Ill try and post another pic

AliciaM 03-09-2013 01:41 AM

So upon looking very close I think it's just moisture! I hope. We will see once th ground starts to dry up.

loosie 03-09-2013 01:48 AM

Hi,

Firstly, 'ringbone' is calcification on/between the pastern bones. Therefore no, this is nothing at all like it & you usually can't see it - unless they're big lumps.

It's hard to tell much from those pics. In the first I thought it was probably periople - the external membrane that grows from the coronary over the top of the hoof, like the quick of your nails. You may be noticing it more because being waterlogged it's lighter. But in the second pic I'm not so sure - looks like the hoof wall could be peeling.

If you would like comments/opinions on your horse's feet, pics of clean feet, without snow/mud/grass in the way & from a variety of angles is helpful. Check out the link in my signature below for critique pic tips.

stevenson 03-09-2013 02:00 AM

stop picking it off. there is nothign worng with that hoof, maybe a little wet from the snow but in a copule months you wont have that problem. why would think your horse has it, just becuase someone elses horse had it?

AliciaM 03-09-2013 02:02 AM

I haven't picked anything off. I noticed it tonight and brought her in to see if it can dry up over night and see how it looks.

AliciaM 03-09-2013 02:06 AM

A girl had her gelding near my place a while back as he had something similar to this, and she informed me they found out he has ring bone ( she never told me signs ) alls she said was it is a formation that grows near the coffin bone, so when I noticed this I ofcourse panicked!

stevenson 03-09-2013 02:06 AM

I misread that.. it would not hurt to let her hooves dry some. If it was a form of ringbone , in the hair above the hoof, the coronet band and lower pastern there would/could be hard bumps. Depends if it is low ring bone or high ring bone, and then again they may not show external, and A Vet would need to make a dx. But your horse has normal looking hooves from what can be seen in these pics . ;)

AliciaM 03-09-2013 02:10 AM

That's what I initially thought was low ring bone! Once we get into summer ( all of 3 months we get if we're lucky) ;) fingers crossed they go back to normal. Thanks everyone for the help!!!