The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   ? about cutback saddle and buying used (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/about-cutback-saddle-buying-used-155879/)

uflrh9y 03-09-2013 07:35 AM

? about cutback saddle and buying used

I would like to buy a cutback saddle for my daughter for her birthday. She is 11 but needs a 21 inch, so a kids saddle is out. I don't want to spend a fortune either. Some questions I have are 1. can you show in a cutback with a suede seat? I have seen a lot of those advertised and they look comfy but I am not familiar with them. 2. Have you ever bought a used saddle online? What was your experience? 3. If you did buy a used saddle, how nice does the condition have to be to show? Is a few scratches out? My biggest worry about used saddles is finding out the tree was broken or something major like that. Thanks.

Gaited07 03-09-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uflrh9y (Post 1929815)
I would like to buy a cutback saddle for my daughter for her birthday. She is 11 but needs a 21 inch, so a kids saddle is out. I don't want to spend a fortune either. Some questions I have are 1. can you show in a cutback with a suede seat? I have seen a lot of those advertised and they look comfy but I am not familiar with them. 2. Have you ever bought a used saddle online? What was your experience? 3. If you did buy a used saddle, how nice does the condition have to be to show? Is a few scratches out? My biggest worry about used saddles is finding out the tree was broken or something major like that. Thanks.

Are you sure on the 21"? That's a very big saddle.

I would purchase a nice used BRAND name saddle because they are more balanced for the horse and rider. You can get away with an argentine made saddle such as a Borelli or Rosly Caruso if you want to save some money but want a decent saddle to start with.

As for suede seat and show ring, maybe in pleasure classes but I don't believe equitation it will fly. I don't know that answer for sure because suede seat saddles was not around when I showed saddleseat LOL.

If you purchase from ebay, ask questions such as soundness of the tree, condition of leather, any fitting come with it, condition of billets and etc. ask questions and lots of them before you bid. There are quite a few nice saddles on ebay.

There is a site nationalbridleshop.com you might want to check into. Do NOT purchase economy package, they are JUNK.

boots 03-09-2013 02:06 PM

I pick up 4 or 5 saddles online each year. Ebay, newspaper ads, ranchworld.com. Just had a polo saddle delivered last night, in fact. Not a high end saddle, but I'm familiar with the brand, and it turned out the seller and I have mutual acquaintances.

I try to go for brands that are at least known. Some western saddles are used custom made and I ask my saddle making buddies what they know about the maker's work. Personally, I would take a saddle with more wear if I know the quality is good over a newer/less used lower quality saddle.

I've been fortunate and have not bought a crummy saddle yet. Good luck and have fun shopping.

uflrh9y 03-09-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaited07 (Post 1930139)
Are you sure on the 21"? That's a very big saddle.

I would purchase a nice used BRAND name saddle because they are more balanced for the horse and rider. You can get away with an argentine made saddle such as a Borelli or Rosly Caruso if you want to save some money but want a decent saddle to start with.

As for suede seat and show ring, maybe in pleasure classes but I don't believe equitation it will fly. I don't know that answer for sure because suede seat saddles was not around when I showed saddleseat LOL.

If you purchase from ebay, ask questions such as soundness of the tree, condition of leather, any fitting come with it, condition of billets and etc. ask questions and lots of them before you bid. There are quite a few nice saddles on ebay.

There is a site nationalbridleshop.com you might want to check into. Do NOT purchase economy package, they are JUNK.

Thanks for the info. They didn't have suede seat saddles back in my saddleseat days either, lol. As for the 21", yep I'm sure. She is 11 but she is 5'5 (4 inches taller then me, grrr). Her lesson saddle is a 20" and both her trainer and I felt like an inch bigger would be just right.

Saddlebag 03-09-2013 03:53 PM

It's also based on the length of the femur. I have a 20" that is in vg condition. Smooth seat. I don't know the brand but it's quality leather. Billets are good. It hasn't been used very much.