The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Creating clean lines of color (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/creating-clean-lines-color-155896/)

Horsecents1997 03-09-2013 01:44 PM

Creating clean lines of color

3 Attachment(s)
My horse's stripe is cute, but doesn't look clean enough for horse shows. It bothers me, when I go to horse shows because he doesn't look as "clean" and show looking. I was wondering if there was a temporary way to straighten the edge of it, to make it more sold and temporarily dye the random white hairs and make his stripe look like the second picture?

On another note, is there a way to create white socks? In the picture my horse is wearing boots, which aren't acceptable in shows and I love the look of white socks on him. Is there a way to temporarily create white socks like the third picture that aren't harmful to the horse and that won't look tacky?

I may be asking the impossible, but I really would love to clean up his look for shows and maybe people would take us a bit more seriously. Plus I'm super appearance conscious and like to show my horses off! Thanks guys! :-)

Note: I'm an artist so, making them look realistic wouldn't be a problem.

Product suggestions welcome.

JustWingIt 03-09-2013 01:48 PM

I don't understand why you would want to change your horses markings. It's what's makes him unique.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsecents1997 03-09-2013 01:50 PM

Not permanently, but just for shows. I like changing things up and trust me, he's veerrryyyy unique as is without different markings!! :-)

paintluver 03-09-2013 02:13 PM

I work at a tack store, and we have colored sprays or oh I don't know what to call it almost like a paint that you can "Touch up" your horses markings for shows.

maura 03-09-2013 02:19 PM

To get crisp, clean white socks, first clip the white marking with a #10 blade. You have to be pretty skilled with the clippers to blend/feather the clipped white sections into the dark sections. After you've clipped, shampoo the markings and powder them with either corn starch or baby powder - this makes the socks pop out, and protects against some staining.

The face marking is a little tougher; if the horse will tolerate it, clipping will help, but you need to be extra careful to blend the clip line - if you've never done this before, do it AT LEAST two weeks before a show. The powder trick works here too, but you have to work slowly and carefully to avoid getting it into the nose or eyes. Dampening the powder a little and rubbing it into the hair a little at a time is the way to go.

BTW, the blade in a standard ear or face trimmer runs between 30 or 40, too close for this kind of work - you'll scalp the poor horse bald. You need a clipper that will take a variety of blades, and a 10 blade works best.

Horsecents1997 03-09-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintluver (Post 1930163)
I work at a tack store, and we have colored sprays or oh I don't know what to call it almost like a paint that you can "Touch up" your horses markings for shows.

Thank you! If you do find out what it is called, please feel free to PM me!

maura 03-09-2013 02:23 PM

Streaks and Tips is what I used to use - very useful for covering scars and blemishes; also used to have a can of black in my kit when I showed bays.

maura 03-09-2013 02:25 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Streaks-Tips-Temporary-Highlight-Midnight/dp/B0063TEHB0
Link to a supplier for Streaks and Tips.

Somebody probably makes a product specifically for show horses now.

Horsecents1997 03-09-2013 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paintluver, is this it? It's called show touch up color enhancer

Horsecents1997 03-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 1930186)
Amazon.com: Streaks N Tips Temporary Color Highlight Spray Midnight Black: Beauty

Link to a supplier for Streaks and Tips.

Somebody probably makes a product specifically for show horses now.

THank you!