The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Cotton Ropes (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/cotton-ropes-155932/)

COWCHICK77 03-09-2013 07:28 PM

Cotton Ropes

For those that rope with a cotton rope do you treat it or not?

I have heard of people using Linseed oil, detergent, burying them in the ground, sticking them in the oven....etc....we have never treated them even the cheap $25 ones that come in a plastic bag from Mexico.

waresbear 03-09-2013 07:33 PM

I think I recall seeing a tin of "rope wax" at the feedstore once. Sorry I don't rope, would love to, but I, alas, do not. I had a nice lariat, I used it for a variety of things, then someone who shall remain nameless (my old man), borrowed & lost it.

QHriderKE 03-09-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1930639)
I think I recall seeing a tin of "rope wax" at the feedstore once. Sorry I don't rope, would love to, but I, alas, do not. I had a nice lariat, I used it for a variety of things, then someone who shall remain nameless (my old man), borrowed & lost it.

Come rope with me!!!!!!!!!!! :D I teach you!

boots 03-23-2013 11:39 PM

I've never used a cotton rope. Other than wondering whether to treat one or not, how do you like it and why?

COWCHICK77 03-25-2013 10:01 PM

I love them.
If you were to use the same diameter in a nylon you won't get the weight. And with a poly still more weight and more life/body. They last a long time, we have a couple that are going on 3 years old and has roped a ton of cattle. At Capriola's they are about $60? But we found them in TX for about $25. We cut the crappy hondo and burner off, tie a new one a slap a plastic speed burner on. However the cheaper Mexico ones get hot fast in your hand if you slide rope fast and they can burn through some horn wrap if they are wet from morning dew, snow...whatever. But we usually just use scraps of chap leather for horn wrap, it lasts just as long as elk or mule hide.
The only down side , for me, is that they get hard to use in the humidity. Here it is not an issue but was horrible in the part of TX we were in. They get moody with moisture.
I would recommend them to anyone who is roping a lot of cattle and going through ropes like crazy.

toto 03-25-2013 10:09 PM

You try petrolium jelly?

COWCHICK77 03-25-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2029169)
You try petrolium jelly?

Nope! that's a new one...LOL!
We don't treat them at all, we just go to using them and always have. This idea of smearing stuff on them, burying them, putting them in the oven and throwing them up on a hot tin roof is all news to me!:D

toto 03-25-2013 10:25 PM

Lol-- theres a lot of crazy things you could do-- i guess it depends on where ya live and all, lol. :-P

COWCHICK77 03-25-2013 10:32 PM

We live in a dry climate so I never felt the need to do anything to them to make them work. When we were in east TX I just used a poly or nylon if if was too horrible humid and effected a cotton to the point where it was miserable to rope with. But I hear of the guys that come from the south up here won't even touch one if it wasn't treated. Maybe old habits die hard.

toto 03-25-2013 10:48 PM

makes sense since it is more humid-- no one likes a soggy mildewed rope, lol. :-P

i personally like good ol nylon. Stretch it throw some dirt on it and im good to go. :D