The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   good horse stupid rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/good-horse-stupid-rider-15594/)

sandy2u1 10-06-2008 04:14 PM

good horse stupid rider

as most of ya know...im a noob. Major and I have hit our first serious problem today and I really need help. Just so ya know...selling him is NOT an option nor is hiring a trainer at this time. about a week or two ago...i saddled Major to ride and as I was getting up in the saddle a strap broke...sending me and the saddle to the ground. it scared Major...but i didnt think it was that big a deal at the time. I finally got the saddle fixed yesterday, so today I saddled him again. When I tried to mount he started spinning in circles. I finally got him to stand still good by lunging him when he moved. then when I got almost in the saddle...he took off running and bucking. I did get a real life experience in getting bucked off...not fun. after i caught him...i took him to the round pen and lunged him for a little bit. I worked for a long time trying to get back in the saddle...but just couldnt get him still. Hes fine with me doing anything with him at all until I act like im gonna get in the saddle (reaching up and grabbing it or the stirrup). I realize that ive cause this problem and I wanna fix it. I be doing the wrong thing though...and make it worse. Somebody plz help me!!!

SonnyWimps 10-06-2008 04:22 PM

start with some groundwork.
I don't suggest lunging because it can actually get the horse more worked up then calmed down. Appylover gave me this link and this is a good website about the cons of lunging a horse Round Penning

What I suggest doing is the approach and retreat tactic. Go and play with the sturrip....pretend to mount, mount than dismount, etc. Whichever you choose, the second he shows any nervousness or starts to tense up, stop and turn away and walk away (or run away). With you retreating each time he gets nervous he realizes that it's not going to hurt him. And slowly he'll let you go further and further.

Don't force him to allow you to mount him when he's fearful....it's bad for him and you can get hurt if he takes off again. Take it slow.

Horses have two sides of their brain...a left side and a right side.
The left side is their thinking side and play drive...and their dominant drive
The right side is their natural instinct drive, their fearful side.
Sounds to me that your horse could be more right brained than left brained...if that is true, then definately do the approacch and retreat

sandy2u1 10-06-2008 04:41 PM

you are right sonnywimps....i think he does use his right brain more. he's kind of a nervous horse....startling easy, a little jumpy that kind of thing. tyvm for your answer!

SonnyWimps 10-06-2008 04:58 PM

yeah he does sound right brained then.
You have to take it slow and not over-whelm him with too many things. Lots of groundwork, playing games, and just bonding time. The more he realizes you will NEVER hurt him and the more you can show to him that you can be trusted, the more willing he will be to let you do things to him, like mounting him, having him cross the scary horse eating tarp, or anything else that he's afraid of, because he'll know you wouldn't let him go on, over, around something that can hurt him.

jazzyrider 10-06-2008 08:49 PM

i think you should first look at whether or not he is in any pain. that little accident with the saddle may have hurt him in some way. it may have tweaked his back or something. behaviour like this is usually the horse telling you 'it hurts'. i would be more inclined to look at that before you do anything else with him

Bitless 10-06-2008 09:01 PM

Purhaps he was hurt some were when the saddle and you fell off? With the twist motion and all from the saddle comeing down.....

Maby feel around his back with your hands and some gentle pressure to see if he flinches at any point.

NoFear526 10-06-2008 09:28 PM

I agree with the others, check him over to make sure that he is not injured or was hurt in anyway during the accident. Also make sure everything is still properly fitting him.
If none of that is the case, then I agree with groundwork. Lots of groundwork.

We have a skittish horse when mounting, and normally I will tack him up with the saddle, and just leave his halter on, with a lead rope.
I take him to the outdoor arena and tie him in a corner, then just go slowly and mount/unmount until he calms down. And doing it in the corner will help so he can only move away from you so much before he hits the side and can't go anywhere.
I go very slowly with it, and like another one said on here, if he gets antsy before you can even get on, retreat. And then try it again.

Goodluck!

SonnyWimps 10-06-2008 09:48 PM

I would not tie him at all. That can make matters worse and make him feel trapped...both of you could get hurt.

sempre_cantando 10-06-2008 10:00 PM

I like SW's idea of just playing with the saddle and pretending to mount until he calms down. Do this heaps and heaps until he's calm again and doesn't care what you do. When he's ready for you to get on again, have someone hold him while you just lean over his back and pat him, that way if anything goes wrong, you can quickly get off and someone is there holding Major. I suspect he just got a major fright (lol pardon the pun!) when you and the saddle fell the other day. In future, perhaps check your tack before getting on! lol dw I know even really experienced riders who have fallen because they forgot to check the girth!!! I haven't so far... *note to self - check girth when getting on horse this arvo*

sandy2u1 10-07-2008 12:37 AM

lol...its a REALLY good idea to check your tack. im gonna make a horsemanship video titled..."What Not to Do" starring me. Poor Major. I never thought to check him for pain. He did fine with just the saddle though. I shoulda knew better than try and force myself on him anyway. It was clear that something was going on with him. My thinking was that if i just get up there..he will see everythings ok. I never dreamed hed take off with me and start bucking before i could even get in the saddle right. Ive made the problem so much worse, eeeek! thanks for all your posts on what to do...ive been unsure of what i should do. Im gonna try some ground training. im scared to tie him up and get on right now....he's so scared...idk what he will do...maybe once i get him to calm down some that will be something to consider. thanks again everyone. you are all always so helpful