The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rain Rot ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rain-rot-155950/)

emd91197 03-09-2013 09:47 PM

Rain Rot ?

I thought my horse had Rain Rot, but i was brushing her tonight and found little bugs on her that look like little mites maybe. she has thick fur and she has been rubbing alot and some areas she has lost her fur from rubbing. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

MySerenity 03-09-2013 10:40 PM

Pictures? Even if you could try to find a pic on the web that looks like it. I had a friend who's horse had lice...

hemms 03-09-2013 10:44 PM

Lice, most likely. This is the time of year they usually make themselves known in our area. I'm ecstatic that our herd is clear! Last winter we had a yearling off his breeder's pasture bring some in. Oiye!
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 03-09-2013 10:44 PM

lice or ticks ?pictures would help. what color are they?

MySerenity 03-09-2013 10:59 PM

If it is lice, have fun shaving! I had to clip my friends horse and ended up with those little buggers in my hair. It was so gross. Fortunately, clipping (and burning the hair) and a really good bath (I may have used some medicated something, I don't remember this was over 10 years ago) did the trick. Also, horse lice don't really consider us suitable hosts so they are easy to get rid of.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hors...w=1024&bih=485

any of these guys look familiar?

Trinity3205 03-10-2013 11:37 AM

Dust the horse well with 7 dust ( put it in an old tube sock) to kill the lice now and again in 2 weeks. Also start the horse on a good Vit A supplement. You dont need to shave, you need to make the horse inhospitable for lice to live on.

Cherie 03-11-2013 08:16 AM

Lice and Rain Rot are both NOT contagious if a horse's immune system is in good shape. All cases of either that I have seen responded 100% to correcting a Vitamin A deficiency. Everyone that has tried it from this forum have also seen a quick response.

Search this forum and it will tell you how to get enough Vitamin A into a horse quickly to stop them and how to continue keeping horses Vit A levels up all winter and spring when there is no green grass.

emd91197 03-12-2013 10:09 PM

Thank you all for your help. I went back out the next day and it was defintley horse lice. I took your advice and I used the 7dust down the spine and rubbed it in everywhere. and i have been using the curry brush every day to get rid of excess fur. Today i saw nothing what so ever. Thank you!!

Cherie 03-13-2013 08:42 AM

If you do not correct the Vitamin A deficiency, they will just come back. The same horse will also be prone to get other skin problems. The Vitamin A a horse needs protects their immune system and gives them a better skin and hair coat. It also keeps them from having goopy and runny eyes.