The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Arena/run in flooring (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/arena-run-flooring-155959/)

mistysms 03-10-2013 12:51 AM

Arena/run in flooring

I'm fencing a little run in/arena thing. Its outside and it does rain maybe sometimes once a week. Right now its just gravel, my boyfriend wants to being in dirt and plant grass which is a fine idea but I was worried about when it rains. Does anyone have any ideas what kind of flooring to use in the arena/run in. I don't want sand because I'm worried she would drop her food on it and eat it.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-10-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistysms (Post 1930911)
I'm fencing a little run in/arena thing. Its outside and it does rain maybe sometimes once a week. Right now its just gravel, my boyfriend wants to being in dirt and plant grass which is a fine idea but I was worried about when it rains. Does anyone have any ideas what kind of flooring to use in the arena/run in. I don't want sand because I'm worried she would drop her food on it and eat it.

Can you put up a pic of the area? I'm having a little trouble picturing what you're talking about because I have an arena, and I have run in sheds and paddocks but not together. So, I'm having trouble formulating a good answer for you.

waresbear 03-10-2013 12:54 AM

This is just a run in shed for the horse to get out of the weather, not a riding arena correct?

mistysms 03-10-2013 01:01 AM

I'm sorry that didn't make much since :) I have to bring my horse home for awhile tell I get her scratches under control. So i'm building her a stall go in to at night and i'm fencing in like 1/2 an acre (because thats all I have) that she will be in during the day and right now its all gravel. Do you think i should leave it gravel or put something else down?

Wallaby 03-10-2013 01:06 AM

Maybe this is totally different than what you have in mind, but I have rubber mats in front of my stalls and they work wonderfully.

They've been in place since last August and I have exactly zero complaints - other than wishing that I had more mats so I could mat the entryway to the enclosure/stalls too! :lol:

There's gravel under these mats, really crushed rock, then the mats on top. They're easy to sweep when it's dry and super easy to just ignore when it's wet (they stay pretty mud-free, even when surrounded by mud, and the rain pretty much washes them down).
I also love how not slippery they are. My mare is as close as you can get to being blind, without being 100% blind (legally blind? haha), so things being slippery or unpredictable is a huge issue for us. Having mats down makes her stall 100% predictable for her. :D

Here's a picture:
In my case, the divider in the middle is removed during the day and this picture is taken from the entrance to both (the other side has a door but I only open one, the one this picture is taken from, on a daily basis).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z...0/DSCN7571.JPG

ETA - my mare had had chronic scratches until this winter when I implemented this^ as her nightly stalling shindig. It ensures that her legs dry off overnight since there's no mud/water for her to sink into. She might get muddy in her pasture all day but at night, every night, she gets dry. :)

waresbear 03-10-2013 01:18 AM

The whole 1/2 acre is gravel? That is too hard to stand on day & night 24/7, dirt is about all you can put in there, or maybe peat & mulch & soil mix.

mistysms 03-10-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1930929)
The whole 1/2 acre is gravel? That is too hard to stand on day & night 24/7, dirt is about all you can put in there, or maybe peat & mulch & soil mix.

Well every night she will be in her stall and all day her stall door with be open if she wants to go in.

churumbeque 03-10-2013 06:12 PM

I doubt if grass would grow in that area. If it is a fine gravel like pea gravel I think you would be ok. If it is more like stone or rock I would be concerned about that.

jaydee 03-10-2013 06:23 PM

I think largish smooth gravel would be OK - avoid anything small or sharp especially if she eats off it - she could get small pieces mixed in with her food
Plain soil tends to tread down and get really hollowed out where they stand and I think its unlikely any grass will ever grow on it plus if it uncovered (not clear about that bit) its going to get very muddy
I personally agree with the other posters use of rubber mats - I use them a lot and they work very well over the top of gravel, they're soft for the horses legs and body if they lie down and you can easily clean them

gaitless 03-11-2013 09:26 AM

Is there any way you can rake up the gravel and remove it? It would be a lot easier on her if she didn't have to stand on the gravel all day. Even if you put dirt over it, eventually the gravel will work its way back to the top. With the rain washing it away and her walking on it, it will just be a matter of time.