The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique. Show Jumping. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-show-jumping-155965/)

sarahfongsilva 03-10-2013 01:40 AM

Critique. Show Jumping.

I went out to ride two horses to pick a lease, I ended up choosing the chestnut gelding.

Some background, obviously I've never ridden these horses before. The stable that they are at, doesn't really have turn out, so they get out once a week. The chestnut doesn't get ridden on a regular schedule and the trainer had no idea I was coming out so I got to ride him nice and fresh lol Both horses are jumpers.
I'm 5'1 and weight 96 pounds, just thought I'd throw that out there aha

This was my first time at this stable and the trainer was fabulous! I wish I could ride there on a weekly basis but alas its 2 hours away from me.

Videos are in HD(:

Horsequeen08 03-10-2013 01:58 PM

I think you made the right choice with the chestnut. The white one's head tossing would drive me insane. The chestnut's gaits also looked smoother/easier to ride. I honestly thought you looked better on the chestnut than the white one. You are a good rider. It was hard to tell in the videos because you didn't actually jump that much, but in a few of them it didn't look like you gave a full release or were really up off their backs. Maybe it was just my viewpoint from the video, so sorry if I'm wrong. Also on the chestnut a few times you would sit the canter and ride smooth then it almost looked like your butt would "bounce" in the saddle. Try to remember to sit up, back and move your hips with their rythm. Your toes stayed up the whole time-I'm jealous. My toes tend to wanna point down, haha.

Overall you looked really good and rode both horses well. Hope you have fun with your new lease! He is handsome.

MyBoyPuck 03-12-2013 09:07 PM

I love that chestnut. He moves so nicely and takes the contact so consistently. Love how you ride him. Too bad he's not closer. You guys make a great pair.

KneesUp 03-13-2013 06:00 PM

The Chestnut is lovely! I think you made the right choice, he has lovely paces and you ride him beautifully! One thing I would say is try to tuck your lower leg underneath you a bit more, move it backwards just a little bit (if that makes sense). If you wrap your leg around him you'll be able to get more fluent transitions :) Great choice though, best of luck with him!

Hang on Fi 03-13-2013 06:29 PM

The chestnut, hands down :) Smart choice!

JumpingJiminy 03-14-2013 11:39 AM

I actually really like that chestnut. I couldn't stand the grey horse, that head tossing is so annoying.

Poneigh 03-16-2013 08:24 AM

i thought you looked good with the chestnut, it just looked like in canter he was on the forehand a bit and I wouldve liked to see you take and release on the reins a little bit. Same with when he was rushing at the jumps, maybe take and give on the reins instead of just pulling and release more over the jump too.

what are you planning to do with him?