The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   A secure saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/secure-saddle-155969/)

Tayz 03-10-2013 06:53 AM

A secure saddle?

Ok so me and Smarty are working out some 'kinks' in our relationship. She doesnt trust me and I do not trust her and we accidently fed her feed that got her too much energy so she kept spooking. shes had a month off now due to the floods and she seems very level headed but I'm about to start riding her again(lunge her first before i get on first though) but I'm worried if I ride her and she spooks or puts her head down and throws in a pigroot i will slip out of my **** english saddle. I always go to grab her main or the front of my saddle and theres nothing there and so i fall off. I have bad posture and am working on correcting these but I'm still leaning to ride again after having major surgery on my spine. I was wondering what would really be the best saddle. I was looking into a western because they feel so secure, but my friends at the aggistment stick their nose up at that type of saddle because they are 'difficult to fall out of, you can get caught on the horn' I have a stock saddle but dont know if it really fits her. My instructor is going to give me her opinion at my lesson tomorrow. So I'm left with questions about spooking horses. She turns on a dime and last time i only just managed to stay on but she spun again then i fell off. What are some good excercises I could maybe do? I have not much flexibility due to my spine but I was thinking of taking up jogging. I dont know, I just want to get good enough to deal with the spooks coz shes beautiful and It's not her, it's me so I want to get her over this problem. Another thing I will be trying to do some ground work desensitizing her with things. such as barrels. ever since my friend was rolling barrels around in the arena and rolled 2 of them too close to smarty, one where it nearly hit her in the freakin chest and she went running backwards I nearly went off every since because of that girl shes terrified of moving barrels. What is my best way to get her over this? Yes the girl was an idiot and I'm still unhappy about it but she just wasnt thinking so I'mworkin with what I got. This is the most kindest horse ever and I know if I sold her and looked for a dead broke horse I'd get the same result. Its not the horse, it's me. This horse was ridden by a 10 year old before me, did showing competing etc. She is so gentle but I'm terrified that I am going to ruin her and maybe if I had a more secure seat i wouldnt fall off? I dont know any tips??

Maple 03-10-2013 07:21 AM

It doesn't matter what kind of saddle you have, you can fall off. IMO your instructor should be looking at your seat rather than getting a "more secure saddle". If you want something to hold on to, get a neck strap.

Your friend moving barrels shouldn't be the end of the world - heck even our racehorses have to deal with dogs running around, kids, ponies, and ride around cross country and show jumps. Fair enough the horse got an initial fright, but I'm thinking it is you who is anxious about the moving barrels, not the horse.

Besides all of this - if you want to get a western saddle, get one. Don't pay any notice to what your friends are saying - do what is right for you because it isn't them who has to ride the horse.

bsms 03-10-2013 01:07 PM

For a more secure saddle than English, someone in Australia shouldn't have much doubt:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...b89c0_full.jpg

Chevaux 03-10-2013 01:50 PM

As mentioned by bsms, an australian saddle definitely is more secure than the english and also lighter than a western saddle.

With regard to your back stiffness, I did take up jogging for awhile after I had been in a car accident (rear ended). Despite having gone through physio treatments, my back was just not getting there. I tried it as an experiment and in my case it did work. I only jogged slowly and in a relaxed manner as I was trying to get some swing movement going in my shoulders and I think most importantly I only jogged on an old soft dirt road that helped minimize concussion. You might also want to think about taking up yoga. It's great for stretching muscles, getting your body more flexible and helps build your core strength. The more flexible and relaxed you can stay when riding the easier it is for your body to stay in balance and adjust quickly to those unplanned changes in direction that horses excel at.

Ray MacDonald 03-10-2013 01:58 PM

I would suggest a barrelracing saddle.

They have a deep seat, a long horn and usually have a felt seat so your butt really stays in the saddle.

Tayz 03-11-2013 05:08 AM

Thanks guys and no I was not scared of the barrels. She became terrified of them when my friend rolled them and the second one went flying and went to hit Smarty in the chest. She went flying backwards and ever since she is terried of being anywhere near barrels, especially if they are moving she will run away.

Ray MacDonald 03-11-2013 03:00 PM

You could try training her to not be scared of barrels.

existentialpony 03-11-2013 03:56 PM

Aussie saddles are incredibly secure, and I agree about the barrel saddle-- my everyday Western saddle is a barrel saddle with a suede seat & fenders, and although it gets dirty easily (frequently blue from my jeans...) that saddle may as well be crazy glue!

Another option is to pick up a grab strap for your english saddle... they look like this...
http://www.arcaros.com/images/products/detail/6607.JPG
...and are a cheap solution in the "having something to hold onto" deparment. Also-- wear full-seat breeches! Those will help you stay stuck.

onuilmar 03-11-2013 04:22 PM

For the grab strap, aka "oh crap strap," we just use a stirrup leather and put it over the neck. (No iron, of course.) Usually we use it when jumping and want to grab more than a handful of main.

That's a really cheap and quick solution while you're thinking about something more expensive/more permanent solutions.

Just an idea. :)

Ray MacDonald 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

We have also used a Belt LOL