The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Spring muddy mess. What a pain! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/spring-muddy-mess-what-pain-155978/)

Phly 03-10-2013 12:06 PM

Spring muddy mess. What a pain!

With the snow we got and now the warm up, I can't get a truck into the pasture to put out a round bale. Now I gotta try and find a couple small bales to get through till it dries out a lil. On a Sunday none the less. And when everyone round here is struggling to get hay as it is. This sucks. Ok I'll stop whining now......
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-10-2013 12:08 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Tis the season for the stinky mud pit to take over!
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 03-10-2013 12:10 PM

well... that stinks.. I wish it was muddy here.. or atleast some moisture.. we were supposed to get 10 inches.. of snow.. and we got about 5 seconds of spitting.. then the wind.. so NONE.. what so ever:(

nvr2many 03-10-2013 12:11 PM

Mud all winter here! I feel your pain!

iRide Ponies 03-24-2013 01:34 AM

Rip up the big bale and carry put some of the pieces. then store teh rest in your barn/shed/garage/livingroom until needed

PaintHorseMares 03-24-2013 05:30 AM

Depending on how deep your mud is, consider a set of tire chains. We don't get a lot of snow, but it's very wet and muddy in the winter here, and chains work in mud just as well as in snow. There are plenty of times that I can't get in the pasture without them.

Foxhunter 03-24-2013 09:44 AM

Please don't moan!
This time last year we, in the UK were having our summer. Talk of severe drought, ground cracking it was so dry and people sun bathing, it was that warm.

It rained again in April and since then it has barely stopped.
So, we have been living with mud for nigh on a year!

Lockwood 03-24-2013 10:39 AM

We have the same mud here and I can't get into the pasture with truck or tractor.
What we do is lay down a series of tarps, opened up feed bags, or what ever works to keep the bale clean, and hand roll the bale across the mud to the location.
If it is far, we stop and take the just rolled over tarp and spread it in front of the bale/tarp the bale is currently on, and move forward. Repeat until bale is in desired location.

When that doesn't work, I cut the strings and fork it off into a tub, cart, or whatever, and carry it that way.

GallopingGuitarist 03-24-2013 05:36 PM

I am so happy for the warmer weather and sunshine here! That means our snow is MELTING!!!! Yes it's going to be muddy, very muddy. We're going to have a lot of flooding. But, winter might be over! That's is awesome!

waresbear 03-24-2013 09:17 PM

Phly, get the whole family to help roll the roundbale out to the pasture. Good family fun! Oh & take pics & post them here!