The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Whote horse with brown tail...HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/whote-horse-brown-tail-help-155982/)

sacredsterling 03-10-2013 01:13 PM

Whote horse with brown tail...HELP!

I have a paint horse that is mainly white with a couple blue roan spots on him and he stays pretty clean on his body. But he has a pretty long tail(about an inch away from touching the ground) and it is brown...does anyone have any helpful tips to get his tail back to sparkling white? I do own blue/purple shampoos and endless tailbags if that helps.

ApolloRider 03-10-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacredsterling (Post 1931295)
I have a paint horse that is mainly white with a couple blue roan spots on him and he stays pretty clean on his body. But he has a pretty long tail(about an inch away from touching the ground) and it is brown...does anyone have any helpful tips to get his tail back to sparkling white? I do own blue/purple shampoos and endless tailbags if that helps.

Try peroxide.

Ray MacDonald 03-10-2013 01:27 PM

Wash it really well lol and blue/purple shampoo wih help and the tail bags will help keep it clean.

SaddleOnline 03-12-2013 03:50 PM

There is a product out there called "blinded by the white", it is awesome to get manes and tails "barbie horse" white ;)

mls 03-12-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApolloRider (Post 1931301)
Try peroxide.

That will dry the tail out like crazy!

To get back to the white try -

Mrs. Stewart’s Bluing – So many uses!

We used it on the legs and switches of our show cattle. Magic!

My husband has two 'yellow' horses. We use a variety of whitening products. The key is to wash (regular shampoo) and then use the whitener or bluing shampoo. I use a good old kitchen pot scrubber - the kind with the sponge in it - to scrub the tough spots. I keep one in the grooming tote for touch ups between tail washes. I just wet and run it through the stained area. Frequency is key to keep them white more than the product.

franknbeans 03-12-2013 04:21 PM

Before trying peroxide, etc, I would try good old fashion Orvus. Gentle enough to be recommended for antique linens, but whitens really well. I would scrub it in with water really well (less close to the bone to make sure the horse doesn't get itchy butt) and let it sit for a bit, then rinse. If the tail is that badly stained, it may take a couple of times.

MelissaAnn 03-15-2013 10:49 PM

GOOP GOOP GOOP GOOP Did i say Goop?! $1.50 in automotive section of walmart. Put it on dry hair, rub it in good or brush / comb it through a mane or tail. Shampoo off, and you will be BLINDED!

toto 03-15-2013 11:01 PM

I used woolite on my dog with out any reactions and first wash. :)

ApolloRider 03-16-2013 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can you use dog shampoo? I have whitening shampoo from petsmart I use on my Siberian husky and it works amazing.
My backyard has the worst drainage ever after rain, so this dog is almost always a muddy mess except the summer.
I've never actually used peroxide. I just knew some girl who used it on her palominos tail all the time.