The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Is there anything wrong with this? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/there-anything-wrong-155998/)

Kelsie1 03-10-2013 06:10 PM

Is there anything wrong with this?

Ok so I don't have a dirt arena cause we don't have enough room for that so I just set my barrels up in the grass in the pasture and that's where I practice I mean i don't have a choice it's that or nothing and someone b*****d at me and said it's bad for the horses and i shouldn't be practicing on the grass, I've been doing it in the grass sence I started barrel racing ( 7 years ago) and it doesn't seem to bother my horses at all and I don't see what it's hurting it's not like I always run my horses on barrels anyways I do mostly walking and trotting and if I have a rodeo coming up I might run them not flat out just lope to make sure they don't need anything corrected...What do you all think?

barrelbeginner 03-10-2013 06:22 PM

I dont run in my pasture.. mostly because my neighbors BOTH have arenas.. I used to though.. not run though..just trot and stuff.. but I have heard of it not being good for horses.. Im not sure if it was you who posted a while back. and some people said your horse looked sore and needed a chiro? maybe running in your pasture does bother her? but ya know.. I dont know much haha.. just saying:)

Casey02 03-10-2013 06:48 PM

It can be very slippery, that's why people don't do it

amberly 03-10-2013 06:52 PM

Yes, the slipperiness can make it dangerous. But if you have had lots of practice on the grass and you are prepared for if the horse slips, then I don't think there is any problem with that. I used to lope up and down my driveway - there was grass everywhere in that road.

Fluffy Pony 03-10-2013 06:55 PM

One of the biggest barrel racing courses in the world is ran halfway on grass. But they turn on the track. Its in Pendleton, OR

Kelsie1 03-10-2013 07:10 PM

Fluffy Pony Around my barrels is dirt I keep it worked up to so it doesn't get all hard and stuff

beau159 03-10-2013 07:47 PM

How well, and how much dirt do you actually have around your barrels? Do you have a picture?

Do you routinely walk (on foot) around your pattern to be sure no holes or rocks are present?

CLaPorte432 03-10-2013 07:50 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I find that a horse will not stop, turn and use their hindend properly when doing barrel work on grass. And i feel if your not going to do it right...to teach the horse the correct feel of a turn, and do it in a way thats going to be done in the arena, then dont do it at all. JMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 03-10-2013 08:25 PM

I've had two of my horses fall with me loping in the pasture turning, no where near as tight as a barrel turn. I find it dangerous and only walk and trot the pattern at my house. I might lope in between the barrels, but never around. I find the ground is way to hard for the horses legs, they can't stop or do anything properly other than what is in a straight line. You won't go to any (well run) barrel races on grass, and your horse wont have the proper feel for it.

Kelsie1 03-10-2013 09:03 PM

beau159 Yes i walk and and look for holes and rocks and I have it done pretty good, and ya i've had a few falls around the barrels but i'm prepared for if the horse slips but like I said i never actually run them