The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Beginner looking for a little extra advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/beginner-looking-little-extra-advice-156021/)

PenelopesMom 03-11-2013 12:18 AM

Beginner looking for a little extra advice

I have recently aquired my very own horse!! She will be delivered to my home next Sunday. I have found a trainer but she is unable to start riding lessons with me until mid April. I have ridden Penelope a few times and we've gotten along pretty good. She is a 9 yr. old QH mare. 15.1hh. She is pretty lazy and seems to be a good match for me. I was just wanting some input on some basic things I could work on while awaiting my trainer. Just some input on things I myself need to work on. Thanks in advance!!!

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-11-2013 12:28 AM

What discipline are you planning on training?

waresbear 03-11-2013 12:29 AM

Do you have an arena to ride in?

PenelopesMom 03-11-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyDrummerBoy (Post 1932111)
What discipline are you planning on training?

I'm just looking to trail ride...no showing or competitions for me ;)

PenelopesMom 03-11-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1932112)
Do you have an arena to ride in?

I do not have an arena...i do however have an area in my barn thats about 24x34 ft. I know its not very big but was unusure if it'd work.

existentialpony 03-11-2013 12:42 AM

Keep it simple. :) Start out with the walk and trot. Work on your position (ear to hip to heel) and keeping your hands quiet, even when your body is moving. Practice a consistent, even walk and trot on a loose rein. Practice making your horse (walk or trot) faster or slower with only your seat. Practice transitions up to trot, down to walk, stops and backs. Practice making world's most perfect circles.

On the ground (when you're leading her in a halter), work on getting Penelope to show you her manners! Practice making her stop with you, back with you, and turn without invading your space. Practice picking up her feet, petting all around her body, and if you're giving her treats-- play a game where she has to look away before she gets the treat (trust me, they pick up on this one quick. :wink:).

All of these simple things seem simple in concept, but they take some time to "figure out" when you're a new rider on a new horse! Good luck!

PenelopesMom 03-11-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existentialpony (Post 1932146)
Keep it simple. :) Start out with the walk and trot. Work on your position (ear to hip to heel) and keeping your hands quiet, even when your body is moving. Practice a consistent, even walk and trot on a loose rein. Practice making your horse (walk or trot) faster or slower with only your seat. Practice transitions up to trot, down to walk, stops and backs. Practice making world's most perfect circles.

On the ground (when you're leading her in a halter), work on getting Penelope to show you her manners! Practice making her stop with you, back with you, and turn without invading your space. Practice picking up her feet, petting all around her body, and if you're giving her treats-- play a game where she has to look away before she gets the treat (trust me, they pick up on this one quick. :wink:).

All of these simple things seem simple in concept, but they take some time to "figure out" when you're a new rider on a new horse! Good luck!

Thanks a million...these all sound like very doable tasks by me!!!

existentialpony 03-11-2013 12:51 AM

No problem! :) It helps to set up little patterns for your self... like working in an oval and trotting "small" on the long sides and "big" on the shorter sides, for example. It's actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it!

walkinthewalk 03-12-2013 11:01 AM

Hi Penelopesmom:D

How are things going in the feed and farrier department for Penelope?

Did you figure out what Ration Balancer to feed and have you had a chance to speak with the farrier?

It probably seems like Saturday will never get here but, it will be here before ya know it! :D