The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best, toughest blankets! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-toughest-blankets-156026/)

SionTheMonster 03-11-2013 12:40 AM

Best, toughest blankets!

Hey everyone! I'm in desperate need of some blanket advice. I seem to have been blessed with one of those special geldings who goes through blankets faster than most people go through underwear. It's MIND BOGGLING. :shock: Thankfully this winter is almost over and his current ones are going to barely make it through. I'm planning on buying him one before the cold weather comes knocking again, so what do you all recommend? Currently he has a Weatherbeeta Taka heavyweight that he's cheerfully ripped the tail flap and a leg strap off of, as well as a couple pokes and tears all over the blanket elsewhere. He also has a Maxim Plaid heavyweight that's been shredded and is missing a belly strap but is holding up as well as it can with some repairs, and a Maxim Plaid rain sheet that's already had some of the metal clips snap completely in half. SO, what do you guys have for your ponies that are tough on their winter jammies and won't break the bank?

loveduffy 03-11-2013 12:48 AM

Smartpak just came out with a blanket for horses like your. I use Rambo my self I found them to work the best for my draft horse

plomme 03-11-2013 05:21 AM

I have Rambo turnouts and they hold up well. My horse and his best friend run, roll, kick, twist, and bite a lot and the blankets look new. For a while he even had a bite mark on his side, which was covered by the blanket, but the blanket itself had no marks at all.

Rachel1786 03-11-2013 02:39 PM

I love schneiders blankets from sstack.com They hold up really well and are very affordable, plus they offer a warranty on most of their blankets

JustWingIt 03-11-2013 02:48 PM

^agree, schneider's rock, i love them

StormShieldŽ 1680D EURO EXTREME Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery

1680 denier, with a two year warranty

Lexiie 03-11-2013 02:49 PM

Schneiders! Affordable and GREAT.

I really like weatherbeetas as well

SionTheMonster 03-11-2013 07:03 PM

I'll definitely look into those Schneider's! I'd love to be able to afford a Rambo but too expensive right now. :( Lexiie, I have a Weatherbeeta for him right now - the toughest one they offer - and it's in pieces. I swear he's possessed!

franknbeans 03-11-2013 07:10 PM

I get the really high denier ones-usually 1600 or above. I just ordered a couple for next year from Chics-they had them on a fabulous sale-so my guys both got extras. You might look there. For years I had The Riders brand from Dover, and I will say, they really stand behind them-one of my guys kept tearing the butt-from him rubbing and they replaced it a couple of times. THe last time they did recommend I upgrade to the Pessoa, which I like, and they still credited me the entire purchase amount from the original blanket.

Here is the link for Chicks

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com: Horse Blankets

waresbear 03-11-2013 07:57 PM

If you have a horse hellbent on destroying his blanket, he will. One winter I went through 4, 1 Rambo, 2 Weatherbeatas, 1 Tough One, all of them torn. The Tough One was the cheapest and had the least amount of damage, I had it repaired.