The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Bill of Sale / Mailing payments (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/bill-sale-mailing-payments-156037/)

jagen 03-11-2013 03:16 AM

Bill of Sale / Mailing payments

Could someone tell me the best way to cover my rear on this -

I need to mail a cashier's check to purchase a horse that is already in my possession. I fully expect this person to neglect getting a bill of sale to me in a timely manner. I plan on typing up two copies of the bill of sale and signing both myself - one copy for seller and one copy for me. I will include a self addressed stamped envelope for its return.

How can I better cover my end if they do not send me a bill of sale? How can I ensure beyond a doubt there will be no further issue? Is it good enough to have proof that they cashed the cashier's check? Or can I put a memo on there that says something to the effect of "cashing this check confirms the horse is sold bla bla to (me) from (them"? (is that legal?)

I will spare the details but the sellers are of questionable morals and this horse is a rescue.

If additional information is needed, I live in Washington state and the seller lives in Oregon. I cannot just drive down there and hand them the money myself :wink: I was just going to call the sheriff's office in the morning and ask but I figured, y'all are so helpful, it would ease my mind tonight, lol.

(side note: is a bill of sale coming from the owner legal or nonbinding if the owner is a minor or does it need to be under the parents' name?)

PaintHorseMares 03-11-2013 05:28 AM

If you really want to cover your butt, you need to talk to a lawyer, especially because this transaction is across state lines. You should be able to find a local lawyer that would give you free advice for something like this.

SouthernTrails 03-11-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagen (Post 1932356)
Or can I put a memo on there that says something to the effect of "cashing this check confirms the horse is sold bla bla to (me) from (them"? (is that legal?)

(side note: is a bill of sale coming from the owner legal or nonbinding if the owner is a minor or does it need to be under the parents' name?)

Placing a memo on a Check is worthless in most cases

A minor, generally cannot enter into a contract

I would seek a Lawyers advice

mls 03-11-2013 09:09 AM

Do not send the money or the contract. Meet with them in front of a notary and have it handled that way.

Joe4d 03-11-2013 10:54 AM

tell them to mail YOU a bill of sale signed by parent, then you mail the money.

jagen 03-12-2013 04:27 AM

thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate it. I am going to get in touch with legal folks before sending anything.