The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tack cleaning (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tack-cleaning-156051/)

Bronwyn 03-11-2013 09:35 AM

Tack cleaning

Would you pay to have your tack and equipment cleaned?? and if so how much would you pay??

TackJack 03-11-2013 09:49 AM

Nah, I think I'd just grab some product and a little elbow grease.
I think by the time you find someone to clean it all, you can probably do it yourself.

Use a little leather conditioner (like Bick 4), some oil (non-darkening), and go to it.

Saddlebag 03-11-2013 10:36 AM

I clean tack, professionally so I'm a little biased. I have a flat rate for english saddles, another for western saddles with no metal trim. Bridles are dependant on how many buckles and metal trim. I have the experience of cleaning hundreds. I'll even touch up cantle scrapes on english saddles at no extra charge. It's all part of sending the tack out the door looking good.

DraftyAiresMum 03-11-2013 11:19 AM

If I bought a saddle that was in rough shape or was really stiff from disuse, then yes, I'd have my local tack shop clean it. They charge about $40. They do an amazing job and are fairly fast.

Otherwise, for just normal maintenance, I clean all my tack myself. Helps me know my tack better, so that way I know if something is wrong.

I use Skidmore's leather conditioner and LOVE it.
Posted via Mobile Device

TackJack 03-11-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1932603)
If I bought a saddle that was in rough shape or was really stiff from disuse, then yes, I'd have my local tack shop clean it. They charge about $40. They do an amazing job and are fairly fast.

Otherwise, for just normal maintenance, I clean all my tack myself. Helps me know my tack better, so that way I know if something is wrong.

I use Skidmore's leather conditioner and LOVE it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good point - if it's just regular tack cleaning as part of a normal maintenance program...then I'd do it myself.

If it's something that is needing a deep clean, then I might consider the local tack shop. Especially if there's a lot of tooling and/or silver.

Bronwyn 03-12-2013 11:26 AM

So how much would you pay??

Bronwyn 03-12-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1932561)
I clean tack, professionally so I'm a little biased. I have a flat rate for english saddles, another for western saddles with no metal trim. Bridles are dependant on how many buckles and metal trim. I have the experience of cleaning hundreds. I'll even touch up cantle scrapes on english saddles at no extra charge. It's all part of sending the tack out the door looking good.

Can i ask how much you charge then? and do you pick them up or dropped of to you? do you just work from home or a business??

TackJack 03-13-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronwyn (Post 1934385)
So how much would you pay??

A local tack show near us charges $40 (customer drops off and picks up)